A pensioner has been arrested on suspicion of stabbing a burglar who later died.
Two men entered the property in Further Green Road in Hither Green, south-east London, early on Wednesday morning.
One suspect, armed with a screwdriver, forced the 78-year-old homeowner into his kitchen when he discovered them, while his accomplice went upstairs, Scotland Yard said.
A struggle ensued, during which “one of the males found inside the property sustained a stab wound to the upper body”, according to police.
MOST POPULAR TODAY ON YAHOO
- Pictured: Iranian animal rights activist who shot three YouTube employees before killing herself in ‘domestic dispute’
- Jersey murderer who stabbed wife and children to death found dead in prison
- Mother fears the worst after daughter, 10, is sucked into drain in rock pool and dumped in the ocean
- Twin sisters who had surgery to control extreme OCD are found dead in car after possible suicide pact
- Pictured: British family who died after ‘sat-nav told them to do a U-turn on a Florida highway’
Officers were called to reports of a burglary in progress at around 12.45am and the London Ambulance Service took the wounded man to a central London hospital, where he died at 3.37am.
The force was unable to confirm whether the suspect had been stabbed with the screwdriver.
The pensioner suffered bruising to his arms and was arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm, police said.
He remains in custody at a south London police station.
The dead suspect’s next of kin have been informed and a formal identification is due to take place. A post-mortem examination will be carried out in due course.
The Homicide and Major Crime Command is investigating.