The people queuing twice to see the Queen lying in state

·2-min read

Despite the long waiting times, cold conditions and brevity of time spent in front of the monarch's coffin people are still braving the queue to see the Queen lying in state.

Indeed, some people - not content with queueing once - are taking their last chance to view the Queen's coffin and are queuing twice.

Emily from Portsmouth - along with her two young daughters - gave the queue a second attempt after having to give up last time.

She told Sky News correspondent Ivor Bennett they had to abandon the first attempt six hours in, after Elizabeth, six, "had a meltdown".

All latest news, live: Funeral to be shown on big screens across UK

Emily said they had to come back after "Elizabeth coerced me last night to come back and try again in the daytime".

"I couldn't say no. We're prepared this time. More snacks in the buggy and more clothes just in case."

Emily's youngest, baby Victoria, is just five weeks old and is strapped to her chest.

"My partner thinks I'm mad," Emily said. "He's not happy!"

However, little Elizabeth said she is "super excited," and that she plans to "bow her head" when she sees the Queen's coffin.

Meanwhile, a woman from Watford, who queued up for a second time after successfully seeing the Queen lying in state earlier this week, admitted "my feet are struggling now".

She joked with Sky's Kay Burley she "didn't think the feet would cope" after coming to London on Thursday with her mother to see the coffin.

Due to the cold weather, her mum had to give up after six hours, but she managed to keep going and finally got to the front of the queue after 13.5 hours.

Read more:
Queen's funeral plans: Everything you need to know
London to Windsor route revealed where you can see coffin on day of funeral

Her mum watched her at home on the livestream.

But she returned with her husband, after he "felt he'd missed out" when she got home and told him about her "emotional" and "incredible" experience.

She said she thought the queues were "moving a little bit better" this time and was expecting to get through to see the Queen at around the 12-hour-mark.

Asked whether she would do anything differently this time, she said she "might even try a curtsy if the legs are up to it".

She also said she was looking forward to "a long hot bath and maybe a large glass of wine" when she got home.