Phillip Schofield breaks silence on Queuegate saying he will not apologise

Phillip Schofield has said he has nothing to apologise for when it comes to “Queuegate”.

The This Morning host came under fire with co-star Holly Willoughby over accusations they “jumped the queue” at the late Queen’s lying in state at London’s Westminster Hall in September.

When Schofield, 61, was approached outside his home by a GB News producer and asked if he was going to apologise to the public, the This Morning host said: “Why would I apologise?

“You’ve already seen that 700 other journalists did exactly the same thing.”

He also told the producer: “You’re a bit late on the story mate. Have you really got nothing better to do with your time?”

Asked if he felt he and Willoughby, 41, were unfairly targeted he replied: “We were...

“I think that it was a shame that what happened, happened,” the TV star said of the backlash, which included a  petition to have the duo “axed” from TV reaching more than 78,000 signatures.

ITV said in a statement at the time: “We would like to clarify something. We asked Phillip and Holly to be part of a film for this Tuesday’s programme.

Holly Willoughby and Schofield were booed when they won the Best Daytime award for This Morning  at the National Television Awards last month (Gareth Cattermole/Getty Images)
Holly Willoughby and Schofield were booed when they won the Best Daytime award for This Morning at the National Television Awards last month (Gareth Cattermole/Getty Images)

“They did not jump the queue, have VIP access or file past the Queen lying in state – but instead were there in a professional capacity as part of the world’s media to report on the event.”

Willoughby said on the show: “Like hundreds of accredited broadcasters and journalists, we were given official permission to access the hall.

“It was strictly for the purpose of reporting on the event for millions of people in the UK who haven’t been able to visit Westminster in person…”