Latest Phone Hacking News

  • Phone-hacker denies Coulson grudge
    Phone-hacker denies Coulson grudge Fri, May 22, 2015

    A journalist convicted of phone-hacking has said he does not hold a grudge against Andy Coulson, his former editor at the News of the World who is on trial for perjury. More »

  • Javid opposed TV extremist vetting
    Javid opposed TV extremist vetting Fri, May 22, 2015

    Theresa May's Conservative Cabinet colleague attacked her pre-election plans to allow the broadcasting watchdog to vet television programmes for extremist content before they air as a potential infringement on free speech, a leaked letter has revealed. More »

  • Sadie Frost gets £260,000 in £1.2 million celebrity hacking payout
    Sadie Frost gets £260,000 in £1.2 million celebrity hacking payout Thu, May 21, 2015

    Eight damages awards were announced at London’s High Court. More »

  • Gazza Wins £188,000 In Mirror Hacking Damages
    Gazza Wins £188,000 In Mirror Hacking Damages Thu, May 21, 2015

    Paul Gascoigne has won £188,250 in phone hacking damages from Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN) at the High Court. The payout to the former England footballer was one of eight announced at London's High Court after a three-week hearing in March to determine the extent of the wrongdoing at the group and what level of compensation was appropriate. Mr Justice Mann awarded £260,250 to actress and businesswoman Sadie Frost, and £155,000 to soap star Shane Richie. More »

  • Celebrity victims' record damages
    Celebrity victims' record damages Thu, May 21, 2015

    Record damages have been awarded to celebrity phone hacking victims - including former footballer Paul Gascoigne and actress Sadie Frost - as the High Court heard that dozens more claims are in the pipeline. More »

  • Hacking victims win record court damages from UK tabloid
    Hacking victims win record court damages from UK tabloid Thu, May 21, 2015

    The publisher of Britain's Daily Mirror newspaper was on Thursday ordered to pay former England football star Paul Gascoigne and seven other victims of phone-hacking "unparallelled" awards totalling £1.2 million (1.7 million euros, $1.9 million). More »

  • Phone-hacking victims win large damages from Trinity Mirror
    Phone-hacking victims win large damages from Trinity Mirror Thu, May 21, 2015

    By Estelle Shirbon LONDON (Reuters) - Eight mostly celebrity victims of phone-hacking won a total of 1.2 million pounds in damages from Britain's Trinity Mirror newspaper group on Thursday in a court ruling likely to raise the cost of dealing with any future claims. The owner of the Daily Mirror and Sunday Mirror tabloids said it had raised its provision to deal with the fallout from phone-hacking by 16 million pounds in addition to the 12 million pounds it had already set aside. The victims awarded damages were actress Sadie Frost, retired footballer Paul Gascoigne, BBC executive Alan Yentob, three TV soap opera actors, a TV producer and a flight attendant who had dated former England footballer Rio Ferdinand. More »

  • Court awards some $1.8 million to phone hacking victims Thu, May 21, 2015

    LONDON (AP) — Britain's High Court has awarded actress Sadie Frost, sports star Paul Gascoigne and a group of other claimants some 1.2 million pounds ($1.8 million) in damages after their phones were hacked by journalists seeking scoops for the Mirror Group Newspapers. More »

  • Court Hears Andy Coulson Knew Of Phone Hacking
    Court Hears Andy Coulson Knew Of Phone Hacking Wed, May 20, 2015

    A former royal editor of the News Of The World has told a court that former Downing Street director of communications Andy Coulson knew he was hacking phones. He was asked if Coulson, who was editor of the News Of The World at the time, knew he was accessing voicemails when he started the practice in 2004-2005. Mr Coulson denies charges that he lied during the perjury trial of former MSP Tommy Sheridan on 2010. More »

  • Coulson Perjury Trial Hears 2010 Recording
    Coulson Perjury Trial Hears 2010 Recording Tue, May 19, 2015

    Evidence has begun in the Scottish perjury trial of Andy Coulson, the former Downing Street Director of Communications. The 47 year-old is accused at the High Court in Edinburgh of lying under oath when he gave evidence as a witness in the 2010 trial of former MSP Tommy Sheridan. The charges against Coulson relate to activities while he was the editor of the News Of The World. More »

  • First witness due in Coulson trial
    First witness due in Coulson trial Tue, May 19, 2015

    The first witness is expected to be called today in the perjury trial of former News of the World editor Andy Coulson. More »

  • Coulson jury hears opening address
    Coulson jury hears opening address Fri, May 15, 2015

    Former News Of The World editor Andy Coulson has gone on trial accused of lying under oath during the trial of former socialist MSP Tommy Sheridan. More »

  • Charlotte Church wants to ‘lawfully smash Katie Hopkins’s face in’
  • How old is Ireland’s oldest gay bar? It’s the week in numbers
    How old is Ireland’s oldest gay bar? It’s the week in numbers Wed, May 6, 2015

    Plus: How much has the hacking scandal cost News Corp? More »

  • Rupert Murdoch’s newspaper empire has hit the wall hard
    Rupert Murdoch’s newspaper empire has hit the wall hard Wed, May 6, 2015

    Profits have more than halved at his News Corporation so far this year. More »

  • The Sun comes out for the Tories
    The Sun comes out for the Tories Wed, Apr 29, 2015

    David Cameron's final-week push for votes was given a boost as The Sun declared its support and urged readers to vote for the Conservatives at the General Election. More »

  • Brand backs Miliband on 'elites'
    Brand backs Miliband on 'elites' Wed, Apr 29, 2015

    Russell Brand has backed Ed Miliband's view of how to change Britain by taking on society's "powerful elites". More »

  • Sun Journalist 'Treated Like A Murderer'
    Sun Journalist 'Treated Like A Murderer' Mon, Apr 27, 2015

    The Sun's former managing editor Graham Dudman has launched an attack on the Crown Prosecution Service after charges against him of paying cash to public officials were dropped. Mr Dudman, who now works as the newspaper's editorial development director, was arrested in 2012 as part of Operation Elveden, the police probe launched in the wake of the phone-hacking scandal. He was among six journalists from three tabloid newspapers who had not guilty verdicts formally entered at the Old Bailey on Monday. The other journalists were The Sun's former deputy news editor Ben O'Driscoll, ex-Mirror reporter Greig Box Turnbull, ex-News of the World royal editor Clive Goodman, ex-News of the World editor Andy Coulson and ex-News of the World journalist Stephen Moyes. More »

  • Journalists vent rage at Elveden
    Journalists vent rage at Elveden Mon, Apr 27, 2015

    Under-fire Operation Elveden received another public battering as more journalists vented their rage at the "politically motivated witch hunt" after being formally cleared of wrong doing. More »

  • Rupert Murdoch says Scottish self rule inevitable 'in next few years …
    Rupert Murdoch says Scottish self rule inevitable 'in next few years … Mon, Apr 27, 2015

    By Guy Faulconbridge LONDON (Reuters) - Scotland is likely to win self rule in the next few years while the economic divide between the international powerhouse of London and the rest of the United Kingdom will deepen, media tycoon Rupert Murdoch said on Sunday. Murdoch, whose global media interests stretch from movies to newspapers that claim to turn elections, visited Scotland on the eve of the Sept. 18 independence referendum last year and praised the country of 5 million people for its lively debate. Scots rejected independence in that referendum, but the Scottish National Party is now forecast to win the majority of Scotland's seats in the United Kingdom's May 7 election, potentially making it the third largest party in Westminster. "Scots may be crazy or not wanting self rule, but who can deny right of self determination?" Murdoch, 84, wrote on his Twitter feed. More »

  • Piers Morgan quizzed over hacking
    Piers Morgan quizzed over hacking Wed, Apr 22, 2015

    The former newspaper editor was not arrested. More »

  • Police question Piers Morgan over phone hacking
    Police question Piers Morgan over phone hacking Tue, Apr 21, 2015

    Piers Morgan, a former CNN television host, has been questioned for a second time by London police in connection with allegations of phone hacking at the Daily Mirror tabloid he used to edit. Morgan, who has denied any involvement in hacking, said in a statement on Tuesday he had attended a police station to be interviewed as part of an investigation into allegations of hacking at the newspaper he edited from 1995 to 2004. Britain's newspaper industry was rocked in 2011 by the revelation that some staff at Rupert Murdoch's best-selling News of the World Sunday tabloid had hacked into phones on a routine basis to generate front page scoops, leading to the closure of the 168-year-old paper. More »

  • Piers Morgan “sorry to disappoint” everyone who wanted him arrested today
    Piers Morgan “sorry to disappoint” everyone who wanted him arrested today Tue, Apr 21, 2015

    This is his second time being questioned. More »

  • British police question Piers Morgan over phone hacking
    British police question Piers Morgan over phone hacking Tue, Apr 21, 2015

    British police questioned Piers Morgan in connection with a phone hacking investigation on Tuesday, the television host and journalist said in a statement. More »

  • Piers Morgan quizzed by police over tabloid phone hacking
    Piers Morgan quizzed by police over tabloid phone hacking Tue, Apr 21, 2015

    LONDON (AP) — Former CNN host Piers Morgan was questioned for a second time by British police Tuesday about tabloid phone hacking. More »

  • Hacking Probe: Piers Morgan Questioned Again
    Hacking Probe: Piers Morgan Questioned Again Tue, Apr 21, 2015

    Scotland Yard detectives have questioned former Daily Mirror editor Piers Morgan for a second time in connection with claims of phone hacking. Mr Morgan was previously interviewed under caution in 2013 by officers looking into allegations of interception of voicemails by Mirror Group journalists. A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: "A 50-year-old man was interviewed under caution on April 21 2015 by officers from Operation Golding in connection with suspected conspiracy to intercept telephone voicemails. Mr Morgan, who has consistently denied involvement in phone hacking, said in a statement: "Some time ago I was asked to attend an interview with officers from Operation Golding when I was next in the UK. More »

  • Insight - With a prince's backing, James Murdoch may soon ascend at Fox
    Insight - With a prince's backing, James Murdoch may soon ascend at Fox Tue, Apr 21, 2015

    Saudi Arabia's Prince Alwaleed bin Talal is in no doubt that James Murdoch is ready to take a much bigger role at Twenty-First Century Fox, by far the largest part of the media empire that James' father Rupert Murdoch built.     "James is a giant!" said Alwaleed, a Murdoch family ally and one of Fox’s top shareholders with a 6.6 percent voting stake, in an interview. In particular, Alwaleed points to what he says is James' ability to grasp the digital world and understand how it is transforming the media landscape, adding: "I really love him!"     The billionaire prince's seal of approval - and increasing acceptance of James by other shareholders - may be laying the ground for Fox to give the 42-year-old day-to-day control of the company sooner rather than later.     One person familiar with the family's thinking said James, who is currently co-chief operating officer with Chase Carey, could take over fully from Carey - who also holds the title of president - as early as the end of this year.     The source cautioned that the change hasn't been formalised and could be subject to delay. More »

  • Press set to cover new royal baby from a distance
    Press set to cover new royal baby from a distance Mon, Apr 20, 2015

    When Prince William and his wife Kate emerge from hospital cradling the new royal baby for the cameras, the picture will be on the front of newspapers worldwide. But don't expect many photographs after that. More »

  • Five years of coalition: The legacy of Cameron and Clegg
    Five years of coalition: The legacy of Cameron and Clegg Mon, Apr 20, 2015

    After the 2010 general election resulted in a hung parliament, the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats formed a coalition government. This is followed by wider anti-austerity protests in 2011, with the March for the Alternative rally in London attracting 500,000 people. An Alternative Vote referendum is held across the UK, asking how MPs should be elected at future general elections. A number of former News of the World staff are arrested and convicted, including David Cameron's former communications director, Andy Coulson. More »

  • Press set to cover Britain's royal baby from a distance
    Press set to cover Britain's royal baby from a distance Mon, Apr 20, 2015

    When Prince William and his wife Kate emerge from hospital cradling Britain's new royal baby for the cameras, the picture will be on the front of newspapers worldwide. But don't expect many photographs after that. More »

  • Collapsed bribery cases boost UK's vilified press
    Collapsed bribery cases boost UK's vilified press Sun, Apr 19, 2015

    Vilified for their dark arts since the phone-hacking scandal, Britain's popular press won a victory this week after prosecutors acknowledged that the long-held practice of paying sources for stories was legitimate. More »

  • Prosecutors drop illegal payments case against Cameron ex-aide Coulson
    Prosecutors drop illegal payments case against Cameron ex-aide Coulson Fri, Apr 17, 2015

    British prosecutors have dropped a case against former Rupert Murdoch editor Andy Coulson who had been due to stand trial in June on charges of making illegal payments to public officials. Coulson, a former editor of the News of the World who was once Prime Minister David Cameron's director of communications, had already been jailed last year for encouraging phone-hacking by journalists on the now-defunct paper. He had been due back in court to face allegations, which he denied, of also authorising illegal payments to police officers to obtain the telephone directories of Britain's royal family. More »

  • UK prosecutors drop reporter bribe charges after acquittals
    UK prosecutors drop reporter bribe charges after acquittals Fri, Apr 17, 2015

    LONDON (AP) — An expensive and wide-ranging British investigation into alleged bribery by reporters crumbled Friday, after a jury acquitted four tabloid journalists of paying prison officers for information. More »

  • 4 UK tabloid journalists cleared over bribery allegations Fri, Apr 17, 2015

    A jury on Friday acquitted four British tabloid journalists of paying prison officers for information, in the latest blow to a wide-ranging police investigation into alleged bribery by reporters. Jurors ... More »

  • Is Ed Miliband plotting his revenge on the press?
    Is Ed Miliband plotting his revenge on the press? Mon, Apr 13, 2015

    Ed Miliband’s relationship with the press started badly and has got progressively worse. His subsequent attack on News International over phone hacking, plus his strong support for the Leveson proposals, means that he now enters the short campaign facing an overwhelmingly hostile media. More »