- Turkish Airlines plane skids off Nepal runway 7 hours ago
Aviation officials said no one on board was injured, although one witness described how terrified passengers leapt from their seats as the cabin filled with smoke after the plane skidded to a halt. The airport has now been closed except to helicopters, spokesman Purna Prasad Chudal said, adding that visibility was reasonable despite fog earlier in the day. Chudal said the pilot overshot the… More »
- Hello kitty and kitty and lots more kitties on Japanese island where cats rule 9 hours ago
An army of feral cats rules a remote island in southern Japan, curling up in abandoned houses or strutting about in a fishing village that is overrun with felines outnumbering humans six to one.
With no restaurants, cars, shops or kiosks selling snacks on the island of Aoshima it is no tourist haven. But cat lovers are not complaining.… More »
- Inside Europe's abandoned hotels 22 hours ago
What were once some of the grandest buildings across Europe that hosted royals and high society have now been left to the elements.
The extraordinary images captured by IT worker Thomas Windish take us past the ‘no entry’ signs of abandoned buildings and into the heart of these long lost hotels located across Europe. … More »
- Becky Watts search: Hunt for missing teen goes on in Bristol Mon, Mar 2, 2015
Six specialist teams with officers from four counties are now searching locations within a 1.6-mile radius of her Bristol home - as well as sites surrounding the city.… More »
- Deadly avalanches in northeastern Afghanistan Wed, Feb 25, 2015
Avalanches caused by a heavy winter snow killed at least 124 people in northeastern Afghanistan, an emergency official said Wednesday, as rescuers clawed through debris with their hands to save those buried below. After almost a week of searching, the official death toll sits at more than 190.
The avalanches buried homes across four northeast provinces, killing those beneath, said Mohammad Aslam… More »
- MWC 2015: best gadgets from the world's biggest mobile tech show Mon, Mar 2, 2015
The annual Mobile World Congress show, held in Barcelona, is a showcase for the latest mobile tech from some of the world's biggest consumer electronics brands. This year's show has seen flagship smartphones such as the Samsung Galaxy S6 and HTC One M9 along with wearable gadgets like the Huawei Watch and LG Watch Urbane. Here's our pick of the best gadgets from MWC 2015... … More »
- Pictures of the Week: Fashion, fire and Fallen Madonna Fri, Feb 27, 2015
Here's our selection of the best images from around the world in the last seven days. … More »
- Photo aficionado Erik Johansson defies reality in these incredible scenes Thu, Feb 26, 2015
Labelled as a 'Photoshop wizard' that can defy our expectations of reality, Erik Johansson is a photographer and expert image retoucher from Sweden.
He creates stunning images of scenarios and scenes using photography and editing skills that culminate in brilliant optical illusions that will bend our expectations of of real-life. … More »
- Photographer creates stunning 'God's-eye view' aerial images of U.S. cities Wed, Feb 25, 2015
Jeffrey Milstein's impressive Fabricated Landscapes series features a sky-high look at residential, city, waterside and industrial areas of the United States.
The New York-based photographer uses high-resolution camera equipment to capture views from a helicopter with an open door. … More »
- Sony World Photography Awards: Shortlist reveals outstanding images from around the globe Tue, Feb 24, 2015
The shortlist for the world's biggest photography competition was announced today, with a record 173,444 entries from 171 countries around the world.… More »
The winning and shortlisted images will go on show at London's Somerset House from April 24 until May 10.