Pictured: Unexploded World War II bomb found in Brondesbury Park

Tom Powell, Saphora Smith
Unexploded: Two soldiers inspect the World War II device: Rupert Frere/MoD/Crown Copyright/PA

This is the unexploded World War Two bomb which has left more than 50 residents unable to return home in north west London.

Emergency services descended on a building site in Brondesbury Park at around 11.30am on Thursday after construction workers found the huge bomb.

Hundreds of pupils from Marylebone Boys’ School and Malorees junior and infants schools were evacuated as well as nearby residents.

Police officers erected a cordon around the site, on the Avenue, while army bomb disposal experts assessed the situation.

The picture, taken by an army photographer, shows two soldiers inspecting the unexploded device which was found buried in the dirt.

A soldier inspects the World War II device

Scotland Yard also released images of the bomb as army officers worked to secure the area.

Police said the operation was expected to last overnight with local residents unable to return home.

The operation will continue overnight into Friday

However Councillor Carol Shaw, for Brondesbury Park ward, told the Standard residents may not be able to return home for even longer.

She said: “The construction firm have been told that it might not be clear for three days.

The police said a specific part from Gloucestershire may be needed to safely detonate the bomb.”

Adding: “It’s very major and it could be very dangerous, which is worrying.”

The Met Police could not confirm a time frame for the safe disposal of the bomb, but admitted it would be a major operation.

Aerial view of the bomb on the construction site

Two fire engines and 14 firefighters were also sent to the site, near Brondesbury Park station, after emergency services were called at 11.30am.

Property developer Regal Homes is currently constructing 74 apartments on the 0.8-hectare site, with work beginning last year.

A spokesman for the firm said: “Excavations on site at The Avenue, Queen’s Park, have unearthed an object of concern.

Soldiers arrive on the scene on the Avenue (@roxyslandmedia)

“The health and safety of our team and our neighbours is of course our primary consideration and Regal Homes is cooperating fully with the authorities who are investigating the situation.”

Roxanne Landripet, who lives opposite the building site, also said there were fears the road might remain cordoned off for the next two days.

Homes were evacuated on the Avenue near Brondesbury Park station (@roxyslandmedia)

She described the “panicky” scenes as people were evacuated from their homes.

"There were police banging on people's doors and then I started to hear a helicopter flying around above the road," said the 24-year-old receptionist.

"A police officer knocked on my door and told me we had to leave because an unexploded World War Two bomb had been found. There were fire engines, ambulances and police cars everywhere."

Superintendent Nigel Quantrell of Brent Borough, said: "I would like to thank the community for their continued support as we and our partners deal with this incident.

"I can assure you that we are working very hard resolve the situation. The public's understanding and cooperation is deeply appreciated."

A reception area in Mortimer Road has been opened by the borough of Brent to assist those residents affected.

More than 50 people who have been evactuated from their homes are currently at the centre, where several British Red Cross volunteers are on hand to provide support.

If you want to check on an affected resident who lives in the area call the local authority helpline which is 020 8937 5788.

By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes