People in their late 30s can book a Covid jab from Thursday, say NHS chiefs. Appointments will open to those aged 38 and 39, in the latest rollout of the programme. Under new advice from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) those in their 30s will be offered Pfizer or Moderna, rather than AstraZeneca. Around one million people will be sent text messages from Wednesday, so they can access national booking services, which will send them to vaccine sites with these jabs. Almost three quarters of people in their 40s have now had their first dose. More than two thirds of adults have now had one dose of vaccine, while one third have had two. The group will be offered Pfizer or Moderna due to the extremely rare blood clots, including some affecting the brain, linked with the AstraZeneca vaccine. The same recommendation has been made for pregnant women, who will also be able to access national booking service from Thursday, to ensure they are sent to sites with Pfizer and Moderna.
LA protester accuses uncle, an LAPD officer, of ordering projectiles fired on himAsim Jamal Shakir Jr is suing the Los Angeles police department after he was injured during a George Floyd demonstration last May Asim Jamal Shakir Jr was shot with a projectile when he joined protests in downtown Los Angeles on 29 May 2020. Photograph: Courtesy the Shakir family
"The British government has left us out in the cold," says Terence Knott. He's the man behind EUBritizens, an action group of British people living in Europe whose lives have changed dramatically due to Brexit. They've lost their freedom of movement and their right to study, their professional qualifications no longer apply and some are even stuck at home unable to drive as their driving licenses are no longer valid. They're aiming long term to win back European citizenship, starting with a legal case to allow them the right to vote in Europe as they say they've been disenfranchised. Knott joined us for Perspective.
A High Court judge branded arguments in the Duchess of Sussex’s legal case against the Mail on Sunday as "tortuous". Lord Justice Warby ruled that the Duchess, 39, won her copyright claim after a letter sent by former aide Jason Knauf "emphatically" denying ownership of a letter she wrote to her father rendered the newspaper’s case "unreal". In a ruling explaining his decision, the judge noted that it was his eighth judgment in the case and appeared to criticise both sides about the lengthy courtroom tussles on every point. Summarising a long-winded argument about the misuse of private information claim, he referred to one response as "the final twist (so far) in this tortuous story". The Duchess successfully sued Associated Newspapers for breach of privacy and copyright in relation to the publication of five articles featuring extracts of the letter sent to her estranged father, Thomas Markle, in February 2019. Earlier this year she won a summary judgment - a legal step negating the need for witness evidence - in relation to the privacy claim and the bulk of the copyright claim. Lord Justice Warby last week awarded a summary judgment on the outstanding copyright claim. The Duchess’s legal team applied for indemnity or higher costs after they were copied in on a series of emails sent from the Mail on Sunday’s legal team to Mr Knauf’s lawyers in error. Meghan, 39, had revealed that when drafting the letter to her estranged father, Mr Knauf "provided feedback" in the form of "general ideas".
Israel's military was facing questions on Wednesday as to whether its Iron Dome missile defence system needed an upgrade, after five Israeli civilians were killed by rocket strikes. The system, which Israeli officials say has a 90 percent interception rate, has already avoided heavy loss of life in Tel Aviv, Ashkelon and other cities which became a focal point for Hamas as it sought to overwhelm air defences. But on Wednesday, Israeli analysts said that for some time intelligence sources had been warning that Hamas had significantly improved its weaponry, to the extent that it could "pierce the Iron Dome shield." “Iron Dome always had a weakness,” the Jerusalem Post’s intelligence, terrorism and legal analyst Yonah Jeremy Bob wrote in an article on Wednesday, referring to the system’s success rate. Mr Bob stressed that this did not mean that the Iron Dome was no longer effective.