Police issue update following 'large scale' fight which left boy seriously injured

-Credit: (Image: ASP)
-Credit: (Image: ASP)


A suspect who was arrested in connection to a ‘large scale’ fight in Oldham that left a 16-year-old boy seriously injured has been released on bail, police have said.

Greater Manchester Police arrested a 15-year-old boy on suspicion of violent disorder and assault following the brawl on the Tudor football pitch beside Stuart Street on Tuesday night (May 28).

Officers were called to the ongoing disturbance at around 6pm. Horrified residents said the fight then moved to a nearby alleyway where a 16-year-old was seriously injured. He was rushed to hospital from the scene.

READ MORE: Five arrested after man seriously injured in horror shooting

An air ambulance landed nearby as police cordoned off the area. The alleyway, off Wellington Road, was taped off with an evidence tent erected as forensics worked at the scene.

Police then said that around 50 minutes later, officers were alerted to another incident on Garthwaite Avenue, where a 17-year-old boy had been assaulted and received minor injuries. It is also thought this attack was linked to the previous fight.

Videos shared on social media showed a large number of people shouting as two boys appear to throw punches at one another. Another group are then seen fighting elsewhere on the pitch before the large the group run are seen running across the astroturf.

Stop and search powers were escalated across parts of Oldham after the two boys were injured in the linked attacks. The Section 60 order was put in place across parts of Werneth, giving police extra powers to stop and search people until 8pm on Wednesday (May 29).

A man who lives on Wellington Road claimed to have witnessed the incident. He said: “I saw a load of people, around 16 or 17 fighting in the field, then it came into the alleyway."

Police and forensics at scene -Credit:ASP
Police and forensics at scene -Credit:ASP

Another woman who lives on the road nearby, who heard the air ambulance flying overhead, added: “I saw a fight round the back, just a load of people fighting."

In an update issued this evening (May 31), GMP confirmed a suspect has since been bailed and no further arrests have been made.

Superintendent Phil Hutchinson, of GMP's Oldham district previously said: “Our number one priority is keeping the public safe and I believe this section 60 authority is proportionate and necessary following the two incidents of violence overnight. We understand that members of the local community are going to concerned, but we do believe that it is a targeted attack.

“There will be extra officers in the local area both on foot and in patrol cars. If you have any concerns about this incident our officers will be happy to provide reassurance and listen to any of your queries.

“We want to gather as much information as possible in relation to these incidents and would encourage anyone who may have seen anything or have information concerning this to contact us by calling 101 and quoting the reference number 2802 or 3019 of 28/05/2024. Alternatively, you can report information anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111."