Police issue update on group of travellers in public park

·2-min read
Around a dozen white caravans arrived in Preston Park in Brighton on Monday, May 9
Around a dozen white caravans arrived in Preston Park in Brighton on Monday, May 9

POLICE will continue to monitor a group of travellers in a public park.

Around a dozen white caravans and other vehicles including cars arrived in Preston Park in Brighton on Monday, May 9.

A series of photographs show the vehicles on the grass in the lower section of the popular park.

On Thursday, Brighton and Hove City Council revealed that police have now been asked to “move the group on”.

Sussex Police said they are “aware” of the group.

“Officers have visited the area and engaged with the individuals involved, as well as local businesses and residents,” a police spokesman said.

“We remain in close contact with the local authority and will continue to monitor the situation.”

The statement from police comes after the council revealed their staff had urged police to use emergency powers to remove the group of travellers from the park.

"We are aware of an unauthorised encampment of travellers in Preston Park who arrived on Monday evening,” a council spokeswoman said.

“We have visited the encampment to discuss the situation and carry out welfare checks on everyone there.

“As this is a well-used local park, we have asked the police to use their emergency powers to move the group on.

“We will work with the police to jointly monitor the encampment and will keep the situation under review, including the request to use emergency powers.”

Photos also appear to show a number of people inside the caravans doing their laundry and other activities.

Last year, a group of travellers set up camp in Stanmer Park.

As many as six caravans and other assorted vehicles were pictured parked near the University of Sussex in March 2021.

One vehicle can be seen towing woodcutting machinery.

Meanwhile, In July last year, there were spaces for 44 caravans at local authority and privately owned sites in Brighton and Hove, according to the Government's latest traveller caravan count.

Data from the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities showed there were 38 traveller caravans in the area in July 2021 – up from 28 in July 2019.

Of those counted this year, nine were on unauthorised pitches.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting