Police issue statement following Thamesmead flat fire investigation

Picture from the scene of Thamesmead fire (Photo credit: @LondonFire/Twitter)
Picture from the scene of Thamesmead fire (Photo credit: @LondonFire/Twitter)

Police investigating a flat fire in Thamesmead have issued a statement.

The fire broke out in Titmuss Avenue just before 5.20am on September 28.

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters tackled the blaze.

Half of a three-roomed flat on the first floor was damaged by the fire.

Officers say the cause of the fire is believed not to be suspicious following an investigation.

The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by a halogen table lamp which set nearby clothing alight.

A woman in her 30s left the building before the arrival of the brigade.

She was taken to hospital as a precaution by London Ambulance Service crews.

Nearby properties were evacuated as a precaution.

They were later allowed to return home.

No injuries were reported following the incident.

The fire was under control by 6.24am.

Fire crews from Plumstead, Erith, Bexley, and East Greenwich fire stations attended the scene.

A spokesperson for London Fire Brigade said: "Lightbulbs can get incredibly hot and can set fire to combustible materials.

"It's important to keep them on stable surfaces, away from anything that might catch fire such as books, clothing, sheets and curtains.”

A spokesperson for Metropolitan Police said: “Police were called at 5.18am on 28 September to Titmuss Avenue, Thamesmead to reports of a fire at a residential address.

“A woman in her 30s was taken to hospital for treatment as a precaution.

“The cause of the fire is not believed to be suspicious.

“There were no other reports of any injuries.

“Some neighbouring properties were evacuated as a precaution.

“Residents were later allowed to return home.”

An updated statement issued by London Fire Brigade said: “Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters tackled a flat fire on Titmuss Avenue in Thamesmead.

"Half of a three-roomed flat on the first floor of a residential block was damaged by fire.

"One person left the building before the Brigade arrived and was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service crews.

"The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by a halogen table lamp which set nearby clothing alight.

"The Brigade was called at 5.06am and the fire was under control by 6.24am.

"Fire crews from Plumstead, Erith, Bexley and East Greenwich fire stations attended the scene."

Have you got a story for us? You can contact us here.

Follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to keep up with all the latest news.

Sign up to our newsletters to get updates sent straight to your inbox.