A police investigation has been launched after a woman was hit by Prince William’s convoy. The collision is believed to have involved a police motorcycle and happened as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge made their way from London to Windsor.
William and Kate were “deeply concerned and saddened” by the event and had been in touch with the elderly woman’s family and sent flowers, a spokesperson told the Daily Mail.
The Independent Office for Police Conduct said the woman, named by neighbours as Irene Mayor, 83, had been taken to a London hospital in a serious but stable condition.
“In line with procedure, the Metropolitan police service referred the collision to the IOPC,” said the public body in a statement.
“Our staff attended the scene of the incident and after careful consideration, we have launched an independent investigation.
“The investigation is in its very early stages and the officer involved is assisting our enquiries as a witness.”
The incident took place on Upper Richmond Road in south-west London, at 12.50pm on Monday. It is the fourth car-related incident involving a member of the royal family in seven months.
Mayor, a grandmother and widow, had “got lots of injuries” her daughter Fiona told the Mirror.
A neighbour Simon Banks said: “There was a massive police presence around the crash. A lady was on the ground being attended to by the paramedics and a police motorcycle was lying on its side on the road nearby.”
The Royal couple, who did not see the accident, had been travelling to attend the St George’s chapel service commemorating the Order of the Garter with the Queen.
In line with security procedures, the convoy – usually made up of two cars and police escorts – continued driving after the incident.
It is believed that a police motorcyclist, travelling at the front of the convoy to hold back traffic, was involved in the incident.
A Kensington Palace spokesman said: “The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were deeply concerned and saddened to hear about the accident on Monday afternoon.
“Their Royal Highnesses have sent their very best wishes to Irene and her family and will stay in touch throughout every stage of her recovery.”
In January, the Duke of Edinburgh, 98, flipped his Land Rover after colliding with another car while driving near the Queen’s Sandringham estate. He later gave up his driving licence.
It was reported in March that a receptionist was still locked in an insurance battle after a police driver chauffeuring the Countess of Wessex crashed into her Peugeot in Birmingham city centre last November.
Last week, reports emerged that the Duke of Kent – the Queen’s 83-year-old cousin – could face a police investigation after he was involved in a car crash with a student driver in Brighton.