Police launch murder investigation after man in his 50s is stabbed to death in a house in Birmingham

A murder investigation has been launched after a man in his 50s was stabbed to death at a house in Birmingham.

The victim was discovered badly injured with knife wounds at a property in the Small Heath area of the city at around 9.45pm on Monday (8/11).

Despite the best efforts of paramedics, he was pronounced dead at the scene on Waverley Road.

No arrests have been made and West Midlands Police have launched a manhunt in a bid to catch the killer.

Police said: "We were called to an address in Waverley Road, Small Heath, at around 9.45pm yesterday (Monday).

"A man in his 50s was found with serious injuries and sadly confirmed dead shortly afterwards.

“Our thoughts are with his loved ones during this devastating time.

"We're carrying out CCTV and other enquiries in the area as we seek to establish exactly what led to this tragic death.”

Around ten police cars and vans, along with paramedics and an air ambulance, scrambled to the scene after receiving reports of a stabbing.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesperson: "We were called to reports of a stabbing at a private address on Waverley Road at 9.51pm last night.

“Two ambulances, a paramedic officer and a trauma doctor attended the scene.

"On arrival we discovered one male patient who was in a critical condition and already receiving medical attention from police colleagues.

“Ambulance staff began administering advanced life support but sadly, despite everyone’s best efforts, it became apparent nothing could be done to save the patient and he was confirmed dead at the scene.”

Residents reacted with horror at the murder, with some saying they are now “too scared” to leave their homes.

One elderly local said: “This used to be a nice area where people looked out for one another but it’s really gone to the dogs in the last few years.

“I’ve lived her a long time and for the first time in my life I’m actually scared to leave the house at night.”

Another mum said: “As a mum of two small children, this is a real worry to me. I just

hope the police catch the person responsible.”

Police have cordoned off the road while forensic teams conduct a fingertip search of the area.