Police: No arrest yet after woman claims brutal assault by Idols runner-up Mthokozisi Ndaba

Assault charges against Idols runner-up Mthokozisi Ndaba provisionally dropped


Cape Town – The police say there’s been no arrest yet after a 21-year old woman on Saturday opened a case of assault against the troubled Idols runner-up Mthokozisi Ndaba who has so far remained unreachable by M-Net’s Mzansi Magic (DStv 161) channel.

Hillbrow police station spokesperson, Sergeant Mduduzi Zondo told Channel24 on Sunday afternoon “that a case was opened on Saturday morning against Mthokozisi Ndaba and the matter is being investigated. No arrest has been made yet."

The police is investigating a claim of physical assault after a charge was laid by Neo Tsele, 21, after Ndaba allegedly beat her up in Braamfontein on Friday night, almost a week after the conclusion of the 13th season of Idols SA. 

Tsele claims Ndaba opened a bottle of vodka and after an argument ensued, started to hit her and then slammed her into a wall. She also lost a tooth while he ran away. (Read more here)

Ndaba, who remained cloistered in Johannesburg the past week after all media interviews were abruptly canned while he received care from medical professionals for struggling to come to grips with his defeat after Paxton Fielies, 17, from Cape Town won the 13th season of Idols, was supposed to fly back to Durban on Saturday afternoon.

After posing for pics at the O.R. Tambo airport in Johannesburg with DJ Prince Kaybee, it’s not clear if he actually got on the plane and is back in KwaMashu, or if he is still in Johannesburg.

DJ Prince Kaybee was quick to distance himself from the fallen Idols star, saying “A few minutes ago I posted a pic of me and Mthokozisi (Idols). It just got to my attention about his alleged assault case. I don’t condone such actions against women and apologise if I offended anyone.”

Mzansi Magic said that it has been unable to get in contract with Ndaba since Saturday. It’s highly unusual for a TV channel not to be able to quickly get hold of any of its on-air talent and personalities, especially during a crisis that has big negative brand and reputational impact.

Silence from Mthokozisi Ndaba

Mthokozisi has issued no statement about the alleged brutal assault.

On Sunday Mthokozisi Ndaba’s manager, Kim Coppen, didn’t respond to an emailed media enquiry seeking comment on the allegations of physical assault against Ndaba.

Coppen was asked if there are considerations to possibly drop Ndaba following the allegations of assault and what his management’s view is on the assault and abuse of women.

Last week Coppen said Mzansi Magic is responsible for Ndaba’s publicity until this week.

Nondumiso Mabece, head of publicity at M-Net for local entertainment channels, on Sunday afternoon told Channel24 that Mzansi Magic has no new information and has still been unable to reach Ndaba.

Meanwhile rumours have started to circulate that Ndaba was allegedly borderline abusive and rude towards some of the other contestants during their stay in the Idols house. Mzansi Magic was asked if any contestants ever complained about his behaviour during their time in the Idols house.

Mabece told Channel24 that “we did not receive any complaints from contestants during the show”.

The claim of physical abuse against the Idols star came at the start of this year's 16 Days of Activism campaign that runs from 25 November to 10 December and aims to raise awareness over the scourge of violence against women and children in South Africa.

In a recent survey 1 in 4 women said they've been hit by a man, and 1 in 5 said they've been sexually abused or raped, with only 5% of women saying they feel the South African Police Service (SAPS) would help them if they reported it.

Sunday was the International Day to End Violence Against Women.

By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes