Police officer suffers 'severe facial injuries' while restraining suspect

The police officer chased the suspect when he suffered the injuries. (GETTY)

A police officer has suffered serious facial injuries when trying to arrest a suspect in Bristol yesterday evening.

The member of the emergency services received cuts and bruises when he was attempting to detain the suspect who was fleeing a crime scene in Staple Hill.

Avon and Somerset Police have said that the officer is in a stable condition in hospital, but will need to undergo surgery.

The incident happened close to Kensington Road in Bristol. (GOOGLE)

At about 7pm the police reported a suspicious vehicle was seen by officers outside a building supplies company.

The car drove off and was spotted by officers a short time later in Kensington Road.

When police officers approached the car, three men ran out of it in different directions.

When one PC was trying to arrest one of the men, he chased him down a footpath and an embankment, which lead to him suffering injuries.

An Avon and Somerset Police spokesman said: "One of the suspects was seen heading along a footpath off Acacia Road and an officer chased after him. While detaining the suspect the officer has suffered some severe facial injuries.

"He was taken to hospital where he will undergo surgery. He is in a stable condition."

Read More on Yahoo News

Pc Andrew Harper: Murder accused Jed Foster 'denies any involvement' in officer's death

Murdered PC Andrew Harper's widow pays moving tribute to 'perfect husband'

A 20-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply a class A drug and a 37-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the supply on controlled drugs.

Suspected class A drugs, cash and mobile phones have been recovered from the scene and the car has been seized for a full forensic examination.

A cordon remains in place in the area by the Bristol and Bath Railway Path for further searches to take place today.

Last Thursday a police officer was killed on duty in Berkshire when he was investigating a burglary.

PC Andrew Harper died from multiple injuries after he was dragged under a vehicle.

Jed Foster has been charged with the murder, which he has denied.