Police officer under investigation over death of Mohamud Hassan hours after release from custody

·3-min read

A police officer is being investigated over the death of a young man hours after he was released from custody.

Mohamud Hassan, 24, was arrested at his home in Cardiff on 8 January on suspicion of breaching the peace, but was released the following morning without charge.

The father-to-be was found dead at the same property at 10.30pm that night.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) said a police officer had gone to Mr Hassan's home for his arrest and accompanied him to custody in a police van.

The watchdog is investigating whether this officer failed to relay Mr Hassan's complaints of having a fit and being in pain when they arrived at Cardiff Bay police station.

The police officer has been served a misconduct notice.

"The officer attended the Newport Road, Cardiff address on 8 January and accompanied Mr Hassan to Cardiff Bay custody unit in the rear of a police van," an IOPC spokesperson said.

"During this time period, Mr Hassan was heard on body-worn camera to complain of having a fit, suffering a migraine, and displayed signs of experiencing pain.

"The misconduct notice relates to this information potentially not being passed to custody staff in charge of Mr Hassan's welfare."

The IOPC added that the misconduct notice "does not necessarily mean an officer has committed any wrongdoing", but that the matter is being investigated.

Mr Hassan's family claim he had no history of suffering from fits and they allege he suffered injuries at Cardiff Bay police station that may have contributed to his death.

They have called for CCTV and bodycam footage to be released but officials have refused, in case this compromises potential criminal, misconduct, or inquest proceedings.

In the weeks after his death, it emerged that Mr Hassan came into contact with more than 50 police officers on the weekend he died.

Lawyer Hilary Brown, who is representing Mr Hassan's family, said they were "hugely distressed" to hear that he had been in pain or was injured during his time in custody.

Ms Brown said: "We don't know the source of those injuries.

"But conveying that to a police officer, who should have then highlighted this to a custody sergeant, one thinks that if that had been done then maybe medical attention would have been sought for him.

"I can't see how they say this could lead to misconduct. This is gross misconduct that is so serious (and) could have contributed to the loss of somebody's life."

She said the family wanted the officer suspended and that a written warning "in no way reflects the seriousness of the negligence".

South Wales Police said: "The force continues to fully cooperate with the IOPC investigation and is providing them with information and material, including CCTV footage and body-worn video.

"We acknowledge the impact Mr Hassan's death has had on his family, friends and the wider community. Our thoughts and condolences continue to be with them."