Police release images of 10 men sought in connection with Euro 2020 disorder

·3-min read
Four of the men sought in connection to disorder at Wembley. Their images were released by police tonight (PA)
Four of the men sought in connection to disorder at Wembley. Their images were released by police tonight (PA)

Detectives have released the images of 10 men being sought by police in connection with violence and disorder at the final of Euro 2020.

The Metropolitan Police issued an appeal for help identifying “those who we think have questions to answer”.

London’s hosting of the match last Sunday saw ugly scenes, which included some ticketless fans storming Wembley stadium in an attempt to watch the game between England and Italy

The Metropolitan said in a statement that after the match “officers began the painstaking process of reviewing hundreds of hours of CCTV and body-worn video content from Wembley Stadium and other key locations”.

It added: “The meticulous investigation will continue to identify further people of interest or indeed other offences which may have occurred.”

Anyone who can identify the people in the released images is urged to contact police.

Watch: Ted Lasso star Jason Sudeikis shares support for racially abused England players

All ten of the men (PA)
All ten of the men (PA)

Detective Sergeant Matt Simpson, from the Met’s Public Order Crime Team, said: “Following the scenes of disorder both at Wembley Stadium and in central London, we made a commitment that those responsible would face consequences.

“Today’s action is being taken to help identify those who we think have questions to answer.

“If you know who they are, we urge you to get in touch as soon as possible.

“This investigation is in its very early stages and I am in no doubt that further appeals and arrests will follow.

“We also continue to support police action across the UK to identify those responsible for the racist and offensive comments posted on social media.”

The Met said on Friday that two men, both aged 18, had been arrested on suspicion of stealing items that helped ticketless fans storm Wembley Stadium on the night of the final.

Former Met deputy assistant commissioner Andy Trotter has described the Wembley scenes as “a stain on our country’s reputation”, while current deputy assistant commissioner Jane Connors said the final could have been abandoned if police had not stepped in.

To view this content, you'll need to update your privacy settings.
Please click here to do so.

The racial abuse of some England players following the match also marred its aftermath.

It prompted the Government to announce it is changing the terms of the football banning order regime to cover online racism.

Since the final, five people have been arrested over their alleged social media posts.

As of June 13, 897 football-related incidents and 264 arrests had been recorded across the country in the 24-hour period surrounding the final, according to the United Kingdom Football Policing Unit.

That took the number of football-related incidents during the tournament to 2,344, and arrests to 630.

Italy won the match on penalties after a 1-1 draw.

Watch: Gary Neville criticises Boris Johnson after racist abuse of England players

Read More

Radical preacher Anjem Choudary’s public speaking ban lifted

Two arrested on suspicion of helping ticketless fans storm Euros final

Sophie Ellis-Bextor ‘unsettled’ by alleged stalker - court told

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting