Police set up hotline for distraught relatives after David Fuller sexually abused corpses

·3-min read
David Fuller being questioned by police  (PA Media)
David Fuller being questioned by police (PA Media)

Detectives have set up a helpline for distraught relatives who suspect loved ones may have been violated after death by a double murderer in hospitals where he worked.

Electrician David Fuller, 67, carried out sex attacks on at least 100 corpses of women and girls.

Kent Police say they may never know the true scale of his depravity.

But the force’s contact centre - on the number 0800 051527 - is anticipating an avalanche of calls from family members.

Ministers and relatives have demanded to know how Fuller continued his sickening necrophilia over decades working for the NHS.

One victim, Azra Kemal, 24, was abused by Fuller at Tunbridge Wells Hospital after she died following a fall from a bridge in July 2020.

Her mother Nevres Kemal raised fears over how many bodies Fuller may have abused, telling Sky News: “He had entered the morgue and autopsy area thousands of times, not hundreds, thousands.”

So far, Kent Police detectives have formally identified 81 of his victims in the mortuary, with the oldest 100 and youngest just nine.

Fuller pleaded guilty to murdering Wendy Knell, 25, and Caroline Pierce, 20, in two separate attacks in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, in 1987.

He changed his pleas on Thursday, four days into his trial at Maidstone Crown Court which heard he had sexually assaulted the two women after killing them.

He had admitted killing the two women but originally pleaded not guilty to murder on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

Ahead of his trial, Fuller pleaded guilty to 51 other offences, including 44 charges relating to 78 victims in mortuaries where he was working as an electrician.

But investigators have so far detected at least 99 potential victims between 2008 and November 2020.

Fuller filmed himself carrying out the attacks at mortuaries inside the now-closed Kent and Sussex Hospital and the Tunbridge Wells Hospital, in Pembury, where he worked in electrical maintenance roles since 1989.

Police searches of Fuller’s home in Sussex to gather evidence in the murder investigation uncovered four million images of sexual abuse.

While most of these were downloaded from the internet, they revealed Fuller had also recorded himself abusing bodies over the course of his employment at the hospitals.

Having evaded justice for 33 years, he was arrested for murder on December 3 last year following new analysis of decades-old DNA evidence, which linked him to the killings.

Health Secretary Sajid Javid said his thoughts were with the family and friends of the victims of “these horrific acts” and that he had asked the health sector to take three key actions following the case.

“First, the NHS has written to all trusts asking for mortuary access and post-mortem activities to be reviewed against current guidance.

“Second, an independently chaired review is already underway into exactly what occurred at the trust, which will report into me.

“Finally, I have asked the Human Tissue Authority for advice on whether changes are required to our existing regulations.”

NHS Trusts have been asked to urgently review practices with regards to effective CCTV coverage, all entry and access points controlled by swipe access, risk assessment and appropriate DBS check application. A date for Fuller’s sentencing has not yet been set.

Read More

Calls grow for public inquiry into David Fuller sex attacks on corpses

Double killer told police he perpetrated sexual abuse in hospital mortuaries

Hospital electrician admits murders of two women and sex assaults on corpses

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting