Police stand guard as fire-hit Stoke-on-Trent home left looking like this

Police have launched an investigation after an early morning bungalow fire left a man in hospital. Four fire engines had been scrambled to Eardley Street, in Penkhull, at around 1.30am with firefighters finding the property 'well-alight'.

Officers have revealed a man in his 50s, who was outside the home when they arrived, has been taken to hospital for treatment. StokeonTrentLive reported how Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service sent crews from Hanley, Newcastle, Longton and Burslem to the scene.

Police, forensics and firefighters remain at the scene today as an investigation to pinpoint the cause of the blaze continues. A cordon is up around the fire-hit bungalow while gas and electric supplies to nearby properties have been cut off.

READ: 'At least 50 people' on Burslem's streets after George Hotel shuts | The iconic George Hotel has closed

READ: Tragic final text of Burslem garage owner before ending his own life | Mark Petrozzi had been suffering with depressive episodes for years

The fire service says 'smoke and flames' had been spotted coming from the property off Chamberlain Avenue in the early hours. Staffordshire Police are now appealing for witnesses to come forward.

A police spokesman said: "We are appealing for information following a house fire in Stoke-on-Trent. We went to an address this morning alongside our colleagues from Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service. A house was found well-alight and was extinguished by fire crews. A man, in his 50s, who was outside at the time, was taken to hospital for treatment. His injuries are not thought to be life-changing or life-threatening. Officers and firefighters remain at the scene to identify the cause of the fire. Anyone who was in the area at the time and has information that could help with our enquiries is asked to get in touch."

A spokeswoman for West Midlands Ambulance Service said: "We were called at 1.38am to a fire at a private address on Eardley Street. One ambulance attended the scene. Shortly after our arrival, we were stood down as our assistance was no longer required.”

Witnesses are asked to call the force on 101 and quote incident number 34 of June 7.

Want more court and crime news? Sign up to our court and crime newsletter here