Prince Andrew 'could be FBI's next target' after Maxwell, lawyers warn

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·Freelance Writer
·3-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Prince Andrew could be investigated by the FBI after Ghislaine Maxwell was jailed for 20 years. (Reuters)
Prince Andrew could be investigated by the FBI after Ghislaine Maxwell was jailed for 20 years. (Reuters)

Prince Andrew could yet be the target of an FBI investigation following the jailing of Ghislaine Maxwell.

British socialite Maxwell was sentenced to 20 years in prison on Tuesday for luring young girls to massage rooms for disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein to molest.

The 60-year-old was convicted of five offences in December last year, including sex trafficking minors, conspiracy to entice a minor to travel to engage in illegal sex acts, and conspiracy to transport a minor with the intent to engage in criminal sexual activity.

Now lawyers representing Maxwell and Epstein’s victims are urging prosecutors in the US to investigate associates of the pair – including Andrew.

Brad Edwards, who worked to secure Andrew’s accuser Virginia Giuffre a £12m out-of-court settlement, said the FBI should continue their work.

In this courtroom sketch, Ghislaine Maxwell givers her statement in federal court, in New York, Tuesday. June 28, 2022. Maxwell has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for helping the wealthy financier Jeffrey Epstein sexually abuse teenage girls. (AP Photo/Elizabeth Williams)
In this courtroom sketch, Ghislaine Maxwell gives her statement in a New York federal court. (AP/Elizabeth Williams)

He said: “Let’s hope they’re the next target. If we have anything to do with it, they will be.”

Lawyer Spencer Kuvin, who represents several of Epstein and Maxwell’s victims, said Andrew should be part of that investigation.

He told The Mirror: “Obviously, Andrew is one of the targets they will be looking into.

“He should definitely be concerned, but… if he did nothing wrong, then come forward and tell the full story to the FBI, not the media.”

Watch: Ghislaine Maxwell sentenced to 20 years in jail for trafficking young girls

Lawyer Lisa Bloom, who represents several Epstein victims, also said the FBI should “fully investigate Prince Andrew”.

Investigators in the US have sought a ‘mutual legal assistance’ (MLA) request to the Home Office, which could allow the FBI to demand Andrew give evidence under oath as a witness in the investigation.

Ms Giuffre was suing Andrew for sexual abuse, saying the duke had sex with her when she was 17 and had been trafficked by billionaire paedophile Epstein.

Andrew, who has stepped down from royal duties and public life, claimed he has never met Ms Giuffre, but went on to avert a looming trial by agreeing a settlement in February.

The Duke of York leaves his home in Windsor, Berkshire, the day after he suspended his work with his charities, organisations and military units because of the fallout from his friendship with sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Prince Andrew has stepped down from royal duties and public life. (PA)

The Queen had already taken steps to distance the Royal Family from Andrew and protect the monarchy's brand.

She stripped him of his honorary military roles in January, with the duke also giving up using his HRH – a style he was born with.

The duke was forced to step down from public duties in 2019 amid the scandal surrounding his association with Epstein.

File photo dated 04/01/2022 of the Duke of York who is due to give evidence under oath next month as part of the civil sex assault case against him. Andrew will face what is known as a deposition on March 10 in London, in what has been described as a neutral location. Issue date: Saturday February 5, 2022.
Prince Andrew has denied the accusations against him and avoided a trial by reaching a settlement with Virginia Giuffre. (PA)

Andrew’s disastrous Newsnight interview sealed his fate when he was accused of lacking empathy for Epstein’s victims and of failing to show regret over his friendship with the disgraced financier.

Ms Giuffre started legal action against the duke in August, saying it was “past the time for him to be held to account” for allegedly sexually assaulting her when she was a teenager.

She alleges she was sexually abused while aged under 18 by Andrew at Ghislaine Maxwell’s home in London, at Epstein’s New York mansion and on Epstein’s private island in the US Virgin Islands.

Andrew has always denied the accusations.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting