Prince Andrew tests positive for COVID, Buckingham Palace says

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Prince Andrew has tested positive for COVID, Buckingham Palace has said.

The Duke of York will be unable to attend the thanksgiving service at St Paul's Cathedral on Friday to celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee.

A palace spokesman said: "After undertaking a routine test the Duke has tested positive for COVID and with regret will no longer be attending tomorrow's service."

All eyes on grumpy Louis at flypast - follow latest updates

It is understood that Andrew has met with the Queen in the last few days but has been undertaking regular testing and has not seen her since he tested positive.

He was pictured on Wednesday in high spirits riding a horse on the Royal Estate in Windsor.

Andrew did not appear on the balcony at Buckingham Palace to mark his mother's Platinum Jubilee on Thursday after the Queen decided that only working members of the Royal Family would join her.

On the balcony with the Queen were: the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, Princess Alexandra, the Duke of Kent, Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, the Princess Royal, Charles and Camilla, William, Kate, George, Charlotte and Louis, the Earl and Countess of Wessex and their children Viscount Severn, and Lady Louise Windsor.

Andrew's oldest daughter, Princess Beatrice, was pictured watching the Trooping of the Colour from a Buckingham Palace window.

On Thursday evening, the Queen will lead the lighting of the principal Jubilee beacon in a special dual ceremony, with the monarch at Windsor Castle and her grandson William at the Palace.

Read more:
Guide to Jubilee celebrations this weekend
New portrait of the Queen released to mark Jubilee
Best moments of the Jubilee so far in pictures

Andrew, who is the Queen's second son, stepped away from royal duties after Virginia Giuffre, who was trafficked by Jeffrey Epstein, accused him of sexually assaulting her when she was 17.

The duke denied the allegations and agreed to an out of court settlement reported to be as much as £12m after Ms Giuffre sued Andrew.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting