Prince’s home was found littered with prescription drugs his doctor gave him under a secret alias, court documents reveal.
The pop star was 57 when he was found dead in an elevator at his home in Paisley Park on April 21 last year.
An autopsy revealed he died of an accidental overdose of fentanyl, which is a drug 50 times more powerful than heroin.
Authorities searched his home and looked though his email accounts to find how he got hold of the drug, the documents show.
They do not reveal how, but do shed light on the Purple Rain singer’s battle with addiction to prescription opioids before his death.
Officers searching the star’s home found it was littered with containers for prescription pills of different types.
And some of the bottles were prescribed under the name of Prince’s good friend Kirk Johnson, to protect the musician’s privacy.
The court documents, which were unsealed on Monday, reveal that at least one of the bottles tested positive for fentanyl.
Some of the drugs in Prince's bedroom were in a suitcase with the name Peter Bravestrong on it, the documents say.
Police believe Bravestrong was an alias that Prince used when he travelled.
The suitcase also contained lyrics for the song "U Got the Look" that appeared to be in Prince's handwriting.