Prince Harry to ‘attend Philip’s funeral after speaking to Charles’ - but Meghan could stay in the US

Leah Sinclair
·2-min read
 (AFP via Getty Images)
(AFP via Getty Images)

The Duke of Sussex is expected to return to the UK for Prince Philip’s funeral after speaking with senior members of the Royal Family, according to reports.

It will be Harry’s first trip home since moving to the US with wife his Meghan Markle, last year.

The Duchess of Sussex, who is heavily pregnant, is expected to stay at their home in Montecito, in California, with the couple’s son Archie.

According to the Mirror, Prince Harry has already spoken to his father as well as Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie about coming home.

An insider told the newspaper: “He said he wants to be with everyone and was already making arrangements to come home.”

A source close to the family told DailyMail.com that Harry will “absolutely do his utmost to get back to the UK and be with his family”.

“He will want nothing more than to be there for his family, and particularly his grandmother, during this awful time,” the source said.

“Meghan is obviously pregnant so she will need to take advice from her doctors about whether it is safe for her to travel, but I think Harry will definitely go.”

If the duke does return home it will be the first time he has seen his family since the Sussexes’ explosive Oprah Winfrey interview where they made a number of damning allegations about the Royal Family.

The duchess told Ms Winfrey that a senior royal, not thought to be the Queen or Prince Philip, had asked what colour skin her son might have.

On Friday, the couple paid tribute to Prince Philip following news of his death on their Archewell website.

A simple message reads: “In loving memory of His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh 1921-2021.

“Thank you for your service…You will be greatly missed.”

The Duke of Edinburgh spent his final days at Windsor Castle with the Queen, after being discharged from hospital last month.

Buckingham Palace released a statement at midday on Friday confirming the duke had passed away aged 99.

“It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen announces the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh,” the statement read.

“His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle. Further announcements will made in due course. The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss.”

Her Majesty, who remains at Windsor Castle, is now expected to enter an eight-day period of mourning and will not carry out any duties.

There will not be a state funeral or a public lying in state for the duke but he is expected to have a royal ceremonial funeral with just 30 attendees due to Covid restrictions.

The funeral service is likely to be conducted by the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Dean of Windsor and representatives from other chapels and is expected to be televised by the BBC.

Read More

Plans for Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral expected over weekend

Archbishop praises Philip’s ‘outstanding example of Christian service’

Major milestones during Philip’s long life

TikTok and Shopify: an exciting new way to reach customers