The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s staff at Frogmore Cottage are reportedly being “redeployed” as the royal couple prepare to spend more time in North America.
Members of staff at Prince Harry and Meghan’s Windsor residence are being move to other duties within the Queen’s household, sources told the Mail on Thursday night.
And others who were employed on an ad hoc basis have been told their services are no longer required, the newspaper reported, saying it is the “surest sign yet” of a Canada move.
It is understood that no one was being made redundant but instead switching jobs in the aftermath of the duke and duchess’s decision to partially relocate to North America.
Some £2.4 million of public money was given over to renovations of the Grade-2 listed building, which the couple moved into just nine months ago.
Harry and Meghan's website, sussexroyal.com, explained the couple moved to Windsor for "various reasons", leaving their previous residence of Nottingham Cottage on the grounds of Kensington Palace because it "could not accommodate their growing family".
Frogmore has been a royal residence since 1792 and was built in around 1680 by Charles II's architect
Thurday night's report emerged shortly after Harry returned to public duties with his first official engagement since he and Meghan revealed their bombshell decision to step back as “senior” royals last week.
Harry was forced to face the media as he hosted the draws for the Rugby League World Cup 2021 at Buckingham Palace on Thursday, after triggering one of the most tumultuous weeks in the monarchy’s recent history.
The event came after the duchess, who has been staying in a mansion in Vancouver with their son Archie since leaving London a week ago, was seen visiting a Canadian charity campaigning for “climate justice” for women.
Harry was asked about the discussions on the couple's future by reporters at the event but he did not respond.
The duke, who wore a suit, smiled and joked when he was welcomed by the RLWC2021’s chief executive officer Jon Dutton and its non-executive director Stuart Cain in the palace gardens.
In their bombshell announcement, the duke and duchess said they hoped to split their living between North America and the UK.
They spent the Christmas period in Canada, while Meghan has since returned there and is staying in Vancouver Island with their son Archie.
The duke is set to remain in the UK into next week, despite rumours claiming he was preparing to fly to Canada to be reunited with Meghan and baby son Archie, while the Queen has agreed to the couple's wish step back as senior royals.