Prince Harry has not booked his return flight to the United States but will return as soon as his pregnant wife Meghan needs him, a source close to the couple said today.
The Duke of Sussex is believed to want to remain in Britain to mark the Queen’s 95th birthday this week if possible.
He flew into Heathrow using an “open ended ticket” on April 11, and isolated at Frogmore Cottage before attending his grandfather the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral in Windsor on Saturday.
His wife Meghan, who is expecting their second child, stayed at their home in California with 23-month-old son Archie.
The source said Harry has an “open ticket” and wants to see his grandmother on her birthday but his “first priority is his pregnant wife”.
Prince Philip’s funeral was the first time Prince Harry had met his relatives since the couple’s explosive interview with Oprah Winfrey, which was broadcast last month.
Watch: Prince Harry meets with family for clear-the-air talks
After the funeral he was seen chatting with his brother Prince William and they were believed to have met away from television cameras at Windsor Castle. The Queen, who is staying at Windsor with around 20 staff, will be 95 on Wednesday.
Birthday celebrations would usually have entailed a number of events but will be toned down to reflect a period of mourning.
Last year the Queen spent the day with Prince Philip and spoke to family on video calls because of pandemic restrictions.
The bells of Westminster Abbey — where the Queen was married and crowned — stayed silent on her birthday for the first time in more than a decade and there was no birthday gun salute because the monarch thought it would not be “appropriate” at the time.
Her official birthday is celebrated in June and marked by the annual Trooping the Colour parade in central London, although that will not go ahead in its traditional form for a second year because of the pandemic.
In a statement, Buckingham Palace said options for a parade in the quadrangle at Windsor Castle were being considered. An official previously said the royals would observe two weeks of “royal mourning”, which began on April 9 when Philip died aged 99, during which public engagements would continue only in “appropriate circumstances”.
Harry is expected to return to the UK again later this summer when he unveils a new monument to his mother, Princess Diana, at Kensington Palace with his brother.
Sources have said they hope the event on July 1, which would have been Diana’s 60th birthday, will help “heal” their relationship following the duke’s breakaway from the royal family and move to the US.
It comes as reports suggested that Prince Charles and Prince William will meet to discuss the future of the monarchy.
The two heirs will reportedly plan with the Queen which family members will be working royals and what duties they should perform.
Watch: Most moving moments from Prince Philip's funeral