Princess Anne 'slowly recovering' from head injury after hospitalisation

The Princess Royal is said to be 'slowly recovering' and 'receiving rehabilitation' at her home in Gatcombe Park after suffering a head injury and being hospitalised for five days
-Credit: (Image: PA)


Princess Anne is said to be "slowly recovering" and "receiving rehabilitation" after recently suffering a head injury. The Princess Royal's family have been rallying round as she continues to recuperate at home in Gatcombe Park, Gloucestershire after being hospitalised for five days.

Details surrounding the incident that led to Anne's injury remain unclear due to her concussion preventing her from remembering, but she was taken to Southmead Hospital in Bristol on Sunday, June 23 for minor injuries and is expected to make a full recovery. A source told Express.co.uk that the Princess Royal is "recovering slowly and receiving rehabilitation" which would suggest a more serious head injury than original reports claimed.

The insider added: "Anne is receiving home rehabilitation. Tim and Zara are helping coordinate the medical visits and make sure she has everything she needs."

Read more:

Anne's husband Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence accompanied her to the hospital and went to visit her when she was an in-patient, and now has been helping to look after her. Her daughter Zara Tindall and husband Mike are also on hand round the clock, as they live on the estate with their three children Mia, Lena and Lucas.

The source told the publication: "Zara is taking an active role in helping her mother recover from the accident. The Tindalls live a stone's throw away [on the Gatcombe Park estate], so Zara is always on hand to pop over to make sure Anne has everything she needs."

"Mike and the grandchildren also make regular visits to make sure that everything is kept as 'normal' as possible for Anne. Tim is also proving a great support. There's a shift rota in progress to make sure there is always someone with her at any given time."

Anne's medical team have said her injuries are consistent with potential impact from a horse's head or legs, with an air ambulance arriving on the evening of June 23 to take her to hospital. The Princess has been forced to cancel a series of engagements, including an appearance at the Japanese State Banquet hosted for Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako last month.

She was also unable to travel to Canada for a First World War commemoration event which left her "deeply saddened", as she expressed in a statement.

Her remarks were read out by Canada's Governor General: "It is with deep regret that I am unable to be with you today, as you commemorate the brave efforts and sacrifices of the members of the Newfoundland Regiment who went into battle on the first day of the Somme."

"I have fond memories of joining you in 2016, on the 99th occasion that the people of this Island commemorated the Battle of Beaumont Hamel, and I am deeply saddened that I'm unable to join you again, and I send you my warmest best wishes on this special day of commemoration."