Tower Hamlets stabbing: Man in his 30s stabbed to death in east London in third fatal attack in 24 hours

Megan White, Stephanie Cockroft
1 / 3
Tower Hamlets stabbing: Two arrested after man in his 30s killed in third fatal attack in 24 hours

A man in his 30s has been fatally stabbed in east London.

Police were called to the scene on Alton Street, Tower Hamlets, just before 2pm on Saturday.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene, near Langdon Park DLR station in Poplar.

Enquiries are underway to notify next of kin and post mortem will be scheduled in due course.

Police said there have been no arrests and officers retain an open mind as to motive.

It added that homicide detectives were investigating the death.

A police tent at the scene in Tower Hamlets (PA)

The death was the third in 24 hours after two men were killed within minutes of each other on Friday.

In a statement, police said: "Bearing down on violent crime on the streets of London continues to be a top priority for the Met.

"Teams across the city are working tirelessly - day and night – to identify and pursue offenders, help bring perpetrators to justice, take weapons off the street, support victims, engage and reassure the public, and keep our communities safe.

"However, the police cannot solve this problem alone. The police, our partners and the public must work together to deal with knife crime and prevent further lives being lost.

"Communities have a vital role to play in tackling violent crime. We want to hear from anyone who may have information about people who may carry knives or firearms, or who are involved in organised drug crime and violence.

"This information could save lives in the future. If you aren’t comfortable speaking directly to the police, please contact the independent charity Crimestoppers. They do not ask your name or trace your call."

President Donald Trump reacted to the spate of violence by retweeting a post by Katie Hopkins, adding: "London needs a new mayor ASAP. Khan is a disaster - will only get worse!"

A 18-year-old man died after being stabbed in Wandsworth, minutes before another teenager was shot dead in Plumstead.

The first teenager was found critically injured at Deeside Road, Wandsworth, at 4.42pm on Friday and was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after.

In a second incident, armed police were called to reports of a shooting on Hartville Road, Plumstead, at 4.54pm, where a 19-year-old was found with critical injuries and later died.

There were also another three men stabbed during a fight close to Clapham North tube station on Saturday morning.

Police said today that 14 people had been arrested over the three incidents, including six male teenagers - aged between 16 and 19 - who are being held arrested on suspicion of murdering the 18-year-old man. They remain in custody at a police station in west London.