‘Prowling streets at 2am’: Man who raped drunk, lost teenager in Hackney as she slept jailed

·2-min read
Sheku Konteh, 35, was sentenced to nine years imprisonment on Friday (Met Police)
Sheku Konteh, 35, was sentenced to nine years imprisonment on Friday (Met Police)

A man who raped a teenager who was drunk and lost in Hackney “had one aim in mind when prowling the streets at 2am”, police said following his sentencing.

Sheku Konteh, 35, has been jailed for nine years for preying on a 19-year-old woman who had travelled to London from northern England for a concert.

After having a number of drinks at a pub following the event in December 2018, she became drunk and lost in Hackney, Metropolitan Police said.

It was at this point that she was approached by Konteh who suggested that she sleep at the home where he was staying. The victim agreed.

“During the night, the victim awoke to find Konteh having sex with her. This happened twice, and the second time it happened the victim fled the address and sought help from a nearby train station.”

Konteh was arrested in May 2019, charged more than two years later, and convicted following a three-day trial at Wood Green Crown Court in May 2022.

The Milton Keynes local appeared in court on Friday where he was sentenced to nine years’ in prison for two counts of rape.

At sentencing, the judge said that the victim had placed her trust in him on the night, which was sadly misplaced, and the effect of these offences on her had been devastating and long-lasting.

“Konteh had one aim in mind when he was prowling the streets of Hackney at 2am; finding an intoxicated, vulnerable woman to rape,” said investigating officer DC Matthew Cooksey.

“He is clearly a threat to women and I am pleased that the jury recognised this and this dangerous man will now be behind bars for a significant time.”

PC Elizabeth Staff, who also worked on the case, said: “I would like to commend the victim for her bravery in both coming forward and committing to attend court more than three-and-a-half years after the attack.

“We are working hard to prevent violence against women and to place the dangerous offenders who target women before the courts.”

A Sexual Harm Prevention Order was also imposed on Konteh as part of the sentence, which will take effect when he is released from prison.

The conditions of this require him to not be in the company of any female not known to him who is intoxicated or appears to be intoxicated, and to not enter into any intimate relationship unless this conviction has been disclosed to the partner by the police.