Three-to-seven-year-olds have gone back to classrooms in Wales in a phased return to face-to-face teaching.
Three-to-seven-year-olds have gone back to classrooms in Wales in a phased return to face-to-face teaching.
Prince Harry has revealed that he was financially able to step back from the Royal family because his mother, Diana, Princess of Wales left him an inheritance, telling Oprah Winfrey: "I think she saw it coming". The Duke of Sussex told the interviewer Oprah Winfrey that he was now living off money left to him by his late mother after he was “cut off financially” early last year when he and the Duchess moved to the US. “I have what my mum left me and without that we wouldn’t have been able to do this,” he said of his new life in Los Angeles. “It’s like she saw it coming and she’s been with us through this whole process.” The princes were left about £6.5 million each when their mother, Diana, Princess of Wales, died 23 years ago. The sum was invested and gathered substantial interest, so Prince Harry inherited around £10 million on his 30th birthday. Diana's sons were also left her wedding dress, designed by David and Elizabeth Emanuel and made of thousands of pearls, silk layers and a 25ft-train. In 2013, Earl Spencer, Diana's brother, said that other items would also be handed over to William and Harry, in accordance with their mother's will. Other items handed down include: 28 other dresses, designer suits and evening gowns that belonged to Diana, two diamond tiaras, the original text of the Earl Spencer’s tribute to his sister at the funeral in Westminister Abbey and the score and lyrics of the Sir Elton John and Bernie Taupin's version of Candle in the Wind, played by Sir Elton at Diana's funeral.
The first step of the coronavirus lockdown brings the return of schools and limited social contact
First time daily deaths below 100 since 19 October
Thousands of Rangers fans have flouted lockdown rules to celebrate their team's first title win in a decade despite Nicola Sturgeon's pleas for them to go home. They gathered in droves outside Ibrox stadium in Glasgow after Celtic were held to a draw by Dundee United, a result that meant Rangers were crowned champions. Thousands of fans then marched to the city centre, where hundreds more had already gathered in George Square. They let off fireworks and smoke bombs as they chanted and wildly celebrated their club's first league win in ten years. Under current guidance, public gatherings are banned and a maximum of two people from two households are allowed to meet outdoors.
The Duke of Sussex has revealed his relationship with his father soured so much last year that the Prince of Wales refused to speak to him on the phone.
Boris Johnson has hailed the “joy and relief” that Monday's easing of lockdown will bring families as he confirmed a grandparent will be able to see young grandchildren under the new rules. Before Monday, the Government's Covid-19 guidance said two people were only allowed to meet outdoors if they were doing exercise, such as walking or jogging. Those restrictions have been loosened, with people now allowed to meet one-on-one outside for recreational activities such as having a coffee on a park bench or a picnic. The Telegraph can confirm that children aged under five are exempt from such rules, however, meaning a parent meeting a grandparent can bring along young children. Mr Johnson told this newspaper: “Today marks the first step in our cautious easing of lockdown restrictions, with pupils returning to schools and outdoor socialising with one other person allowed. “While this is only a small relaxation of the rules, I know this increased social contact will provide joy and relief for families with grandparents being able to see young grandchildren again after months of tough restrictions. "But we must remain vigilant as we move through our plan to reopen society and return towards normality.” The rule tweak is one of three key changes happening today, which is the first date in Mr Johnson’s “roadmap” out of lockdown. The other two are the reopening of all English schools and the ability for care home residents to be visited by a single named individual, with hand-holding allowed. The changes reflect that fact that the Prime Minister and his inner team have prioritised getting children into the classroom again and reuniting families. Many of the existing restrictions remain, however. No more than two adults from different households can meet outdoors to chat. Full family reunions outside will have to wait until March 29 at the earliest. Such one-on-one meetings also have to take place in public outdoor settings rather than private gardens. Social distancing rules also remain in place, which means people are advised to remain six feet apart and wear face masks if close to others. But the change does end the need to be moving when catching up with someone – a rule difficult to abide by for those with limited mobility and which was being broken by some. Mr Johnson has made “cautious but irreversible” the central theme of his reopening plan, which takes place in four stages. By the end of March groups of six or two different households will be able to meet outside. By April 12, pubs and restaurants should be allowed to serve outside. May 17 is the earliest indoor dining and indoor meet-ups will be allowed, with June 21 provisionally named as the date almost all restrictions will be lifted. However, the Prime Minister has repeatedly stressed that these dates are simply “earliest” ones, with delays possible if the data tracking the fight against Covid-19 worsens. Four metrics are being watched: the speed of the vaccine roll-out; the efficacy of the vaccines on deaths and hospitalisations; whether case rises threaten to overwhelm the NHS; and whether new variants emerge that increase risk. Reviews are ongoing to determine when social distancing rules could be eased and whether overseas holidays could be allowed again in time for summer.
And she isn't the only member of the Good Morning Britain team who has criticised his views on the Duchess of Sussex.
GOP Governor Reeves instead calls Biden ‘duly’ elected president
Presenters made jokes about the late star’s exits from Love Island and The X Factor
More than third of Scottish voters less likely to vote for cutting ties with rest of UK after events of recent days
March 8 marks the first step stage in Boris Johnson’s “road map to freedom”. Here's what you need to know.
The Duchess of Sussex recalled the pain she was in when she attended a Cirque du Soleil show with Prince Harry in 2019.
Austrian authorities have suspended inoculations with a batch of AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine as a precaution while investigating the death of one person and the illness of another after the shots, a health agency said on Sunday. "The Federal Office for Safety in Health Care (BASG) has received two reports in a temporal connection with a vaccination from the same batch of the AstraZeneca vaccine in the district clinic of Zwettl" in Lower Austria province, it said.
Two protesters were killed by gunshot wounds to the head in Myanmar on Monday, witnesses said, while shops, factories and banks were closed in the main city Yangon as part of the uprising against the country's military rulers. Photos posted on Facebook showed the bodies of two men lying on the street in the northern town of Myitkyina. Witnesses said they were taking part in a protest when police fired stun grenades and tear gas. Several people were then hit by gunfire from buildings nearby.One witness, who said he helped move the bodies, told Reuters two people were shot in the head and died on the spot. Three people were injured."How inhumane to kill unarmed civilians," said the witness, a 20-year-old man. "We must have our right to protest peacefully."It was not immediately clear who fired on the protesters although both police and the military were at the protest, the witnesses said.Police and military have killed more than 50 people to quell daily demonstrations and strikes against the Feb. 1 coup, according to the United Nations last week.Crowds demonstrating against the coup gathered in Yangon as well as the second-biggest city, Mandalay and several other towns, according to videos posted on Facebook. Protesters in Dawei, a coastal town in the south, were protected by the Karen National Union, an ethnic armed group engaged a long-running war with the military.Protesters waved flags fashioned from htamain (women's sarongs) in some places or hung them up on lines across the street to mark International Women's Day while denouncing the junta. Walking beneath women's sarongs is traditionally considered bad luck for men and tends to slow down police and soldiers.State media said security forces were keeping a presence at hospitals and universities as part of efforts to enforce the law.At least nine unions covering sectors including construction, agriculture and manufacturing have called on "all Myanmar people" to stop work to reverse the coup and restore Aung San Suu Kyi's elected government.Allowing business and economic activity to continue would help the military "as they repress the energy of the Myanmar people", the unions said in a statement."The time to take action in defence of our democracy is now."'Fight that fear'Only a few small tea-shops were open in Yangon, witnesses said. Major shopping centres were closed and there was no work going on at factories.Protest leader Maung Saungkha on Facebook urged women to come out strongly against the coup on Monday, while Nay Chi, one of the organisers of the sarong movement, described the women as "revolutionaries"."Our people are unarmed but wise. They try to rule with fear, but we will fight that fear," she told Reuters.In a statement on Monday, the military said it had arrested 41 people the previous day.An official and local campaign manager from Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy (NLD) Khin Maung Latt died in police custody on Sunday.Ba Myo Thein, a deposed lawmaker, said reports of bruising to Khin Maung Latt's head and body raised suspicions that he had been "tortured severely".Police in the Pabedan district of Yangon, where Khin Maung Latt was arrested on Saturday night, declined to comment. A spokesman for the military did not answer calls seeking comment.The army has said it is dealing with protests lawfully.Figures by the Assistance Association for Political Prisoners advocacy group showed nearly 1,800 people have been detained under the junta as of Sunday.An announcement by the military carried on the front page of the State-run Global New Light of Myanmar newspaper on Monday threatened unspecified "action" against anyone who directly or indirectly works for a committee of ousted lawmakers that has declared itself the country's legitimate authority.The announcement said the committee was illegal and had committed "high treason". A separate report said the military and police were "maintaining" hospitals and universities.The killings have drawn anger in the West and been condemned by most democracies in Asia.The United States and some other Western countries have imposed limited sanctions on the junta and Australia on Sunday cut defence ties, saying it would only deal with non-government groups in Myanmar.Myanmar's giant neighbour China said on Sunday it was prepared to engage with "all parties" to ease the crisis and was not taking sides.(REUTERS)
Britain should prepare itself for a "hard winter" with the threat of Covid-19 and a flu surge still a possibility, a Public Health England official has said. The NHS will have to be ready for a potential rise in respiratory viruses as people wait to discover if there is a strong level of immunity in the population, according to Dr Susan Hopkins, who advises the Government on its Covid policy. Dr Hopkins, who is Covid-19 strategic response director to Public Health England, told the BBC's Andrew Marr Show: "I think we have to prepare for a hard winter, not only with coronavirus but we've had a year of almost no respiratory viruses of any other type, and that means potentially the population immunity to that is less, and so we could see surges in flu. "We could surges in other respiratory viruses and other respiratory pathogens." Dr Hopkins added: "So it's really important that we're prepared from the NHS point of view, from public health and contact tracing, that we have everything ready to prepare for a difficult autumn, and we hope that it won't occur and there will be a normal winter for all of us." Dr Hopkins said she believed "we will all have our summer holidays" but her job is to advise the Government and to prepare for "worst-case scenarios". She told the programme: "We have to make sure that we're prepared, and that we're better prepared for this autumn than we have been previously." Despite her warnings for next year, Dr Hopkins said the emergence of new variants of the coronavirus should not derail a plan to start easing a nationwide lockdown in England over the coming weeks. "I think it won't change it for the next three to five weeks, that would be highly unlikely," Dr Hopkins, PHE’s strategic response director, told the BBC's Andrew Marr show. "We will need to watch it carefully as new strains come into the country from around the world and we will need to be very ready for autumn."
"This is a secret dream to do a show like this!"
“I’m sorry, Piers, you don’t get to call out what is and isn’t racism against Black people.”
Follow the day’s events as they happened
Nicola Sturgeon's deputy is to face a vote of no confidence at Holyrood this week after he was accused of "blatantly" withholding the publication of damning legal advice until two days after she appeared at the Alex Salmond inquiry. The Scottish Tories said they would press the vote after alleging John Swinney failed to hand over all the advice requested by the inquiry and made inaccurate statements about its release. On the eve of Ms Sturgeon's appearance before the inquiry last Wednesday, Mr Swinney published what he described as "the key legal advice" and claimed "all of this material is now in the public domain." The disclosure was made after it became clear there was a Holyrood majority for a Tory no confidence motion that would have forced his resignation. He had previously ignored two parliamentary votes for the documents to be released. But Mr Swinney published a further tranche of documents on Friday afternoon that showed the Scottish Government lawyers fighting Mr Salmond's judicial review had challenged Ms Sturgeon whether she wanted to "plough on" regardless of their warnings he would win. A note written on Dec 17, 2018 showed Roddy Dunlop QC and Christine O'Neill said they were "perilously close" to being unable to mount a defence and were "firmly of the view" Mr Salmond would succeed on at least one of his challenges. Despite this, two days later the Scottish Government started an expensive 'Commission and Diligence' process in the court fight. The Sunday Mail reported yesterday that ministers spent a further £135,000 of taxpayers' money before the case was conceded in early January. In another note published last Friday, and dated Dec 7, 2018, Mr Dunlop said there were now only two possible counter-arguments against Mr Salmond's action and "I doubt either will work."
‘Population immunity’ to flu and other viruses may have been impacted by Covid health measures, government adviser says