Queen cancels engagements after testing positive for COVID-19

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·Breaking News Editor, Yahoo News UK
·3-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
The Queen tested positive for COVID on Sunday. (PA)
The Queen tested positive for COVID on Sunday. (PA)

The Queen has cancelled today's engagements as she experiencing "mild cold-like symptoms" after testing positive for COVID-19 on Sunday, Buckingham Palace has confirmed.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: “As Her Majesty is still experiencing mild cold-like symptoms she has decided not to undertake her planned virtual engagements today, but will continue with light duties.”

It is understood further engagements over the coming week will be decided upon nearer the time.

The Queen, 95, tested positive for the virus on Sunday, although a statement at the time said she would continue working from Windsor Castle, where she is self-isolating.

Her Majesty has been continuing with light duties, and sent a message of congratulations to Team GB athletes who won medals at the Winter Olympics just hours after the news was made public.

The following day she sent her message of condolence on Monday after the flooding in the city of Petropolis.

On Monday prime minister Boris Johnson announced the legal requirement to isolate after a positive test would end on Thursday.

Read more: Queen Elizabeth Tests Positive For COVID-19

Queen Elizabeth II speaks during an audience at Windsor Castle when she met the incoming and outgoing Defence Service Secretaries. Picture date: Wednesday February 16, 2022.
Queen Elizabeth pictured on Wednesday before testing postive for the virus (PA)

During the announcement Johnson sent the Queen a get well soon message in the Commons, saying: “I know the whole House will join me in sending our best wishes to Her Majesty the Queen for a full and swift recovery.”

He said her diagnosis is “a reminder that this virus has not gone away”.

The Queen is expected to hold a telephone audience with Johnson and conduct virtual audiences this week.

As is tradition the Queen holds an audience with the current prime minister most Wednesdays, either in person or by telephone, and has recently been holding one or two diplomatic audiences a week with ambassadors by video link, and is likely to do so this week if well enough.

Concerns for the nation’s longest-reigning sovereign have been heightened given her age and recent health scare.

Watch: COVID-19: Queen carries out 'light duties' after testing positive for coronavirus

Read more: Queen turned down No 10 offer to ease COVID rules for Philip’s funeral - report

She is set to host the Diplomatic Reception on 2 March, where she will meet hundreds of members of the Diplomatic Corps at Windsor.

The Queen is also due to attend the Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey on 14 March and then the Duke of Edinburgh’s memorial service, also at the Abbey, on 29 March.

The Royal Household has its own royal physicians and the Queen’s doctors will be keeping a close eye on the head of state and monitoring her progress, with Professor Sir Huw Thomas, head of the Medical Household and Physician to the Queen, expected to be in charge.

The Queen has only just celebrated her Platinum Jubilee of 70 years on the throne, reaching the milestone on 6 February.

She is believed to be triple vaccinated but until recently had been on doctors’ orders to rest and only undertake light duties since mid-October.

She cancelled a run of major engagements, and also secretly spent a night in hospital on October 20 undergoing preliminary tests.

She now regularly uses a walking stick and has been pictured recently looking frailer.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting