The Duchess of Sussex has returned to Canada as teams for the Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William began work to find a “workable solution” over Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s future in the royal family, following their bombshell announcement earlier this week.
Buckingham Palace has said the Queen, the Prince of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge had instructed their aides to work “at pace” alongside other governments and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, with an outcome expected in “days, not weeks”.
Meghan has already returned to Canada, where eight-month-old baby Archie stayed with his nanny when his parents flew back to London.
A spokeswoman for the duchess said: “I can confirm she is in Canada.”
The return of Meghan to Canada, which is understood to have always been planned, leaves Harry to deal with the fallout of Wednesday’s shock announcement that the couple plan to “step back” as senior royals.
Their statement said the couple will “work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen” and plan to split their time between the UK and North America.
READ MORE FROM YAHOO UK
Piers Morgan accuses Meghan Markle of 'splitting' Prince Harry from Royal Family
Harry and Meghan's decision to step back from the royal family is a 'gift' to republicans
’Megxit!’: How the front pages reacted to Harry and Meghan’s shock announcement
Will taxpayers still contribute to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s new life?
The Queen and other members of the family were reportedly “hurt” by the decision to issue the statement, which they were apparently not consulted on.
According to the Evening Standard, Prince Charles and Harry’s brother William only received the statement 10 minutes before it was released.
Harry and Meghan’s decision has raised questions over whether their will retain their Royal titles and over funding for their round-the-clock security - both subjects it is likely will be at the heart of talks over how to find the so-called “workable solution” for their future.
The PA news agency said it understands the royal family will talk to multiple governments, suggesting US and Canadian officials may be involved, while other reports suggested that Home Secretary Priti Patel would be involved in the talks around security for the couple.
It is not known whether there will be a showdown between Harry and his brother, father and grandmother, but if the royals are to meet in person, they have several days free of any public engagements now.
The Duke of Cambridge is due to be in Yorkshire for a number of appearances next Wednesday, alongside the Duchess of Cambridge, while Harry is not expected to be seen in public again until next Thursday when he will do the draw for the Rugby League World Cup in 2021.
It is likely any talks will be hoped to be concluded before the Prince of Wales travels to Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories at the end of the month to mark the 75th anniversary of the liberation of former Nazi concentration camp Auschwitz-Birkenau.