Queen’s Park: Fatal shooting of man, 26, was London’s fourth murder in four days

·4-min read
 (Google Street View)
(Google Street View)

Detectives continue to question seven suspects after a young man was blasted to death in north London – the capital’s fourth homicide in four days.

Police scrambled to reports of a shooting but were unable to find the 26-year-old in Bruckner Street, Queen’s Park around 1.56am on Tuesday.

Shortly after the initial call, the victim arrived at a central London hospital with a gunshot injury. Despite the efforts of doctors, he died a short time later.

Officers from the Met’s Specialist Crime Command are investigating what is believed to be a gang-related murder and a crime scene remains in place.

Tributes have been paid online to the victim, said to have connections to the drill music scene.

His next of kin have been informed and are being supported by specially trained officers.

A post-mortem examination will be arranged in the coming days to establish his cause of death.

Seven males, aged 21 to 27, arrested on suspicion of murder remain in custody.

Gun murders have become rarer in London as police target gangs and underworld armourers seizing over 524 firearms. The last fatal shooting was nearly nine months ago.

Mohamed Muhiyidin, 28, found blasted in the chest at the side of a road in Harlington, west London on October 31 last year.

Detective Chief Inspector Sal Minhas, who is leading Queen’s Park investigation, said: “My thoughts are with the family and friends of this young man as they come to terms with his tragic death. We will do everything we can do support them.

“Tackling violent crime remains a top priority for the Met and gun crime continues to reduce across London, however this incident is a stark reminder that we still have more to do in this area. We are working alongside the communities we serve to stop violence from happening in the first place.”

Detective Chief Superintendent Owain Richards, from the local policing team in Westminster, added: “I understand the concern this will cause within the community and I would like to reassure the public that we will have additional officers in the area over the coming days to respond to anything that may be worrying you.”

Scotland Yard has opened 55 homicide murders since January 1, compared to 73 by July 20, 2021 – a 24.6 per cent decrease.

Jeremiah Sewell, 19, became the seventh teenager of 2022 to be killed after being stabbed in the neck in a south-east London park.

Jeremiah Sewell, 19, was attacked in historic Beckenham Place Park (Metropolitan Police)
Jeremiah Sewell, 19, was attacked in historic Beckenham Place Park (Metropolitan Police)

Jeremiah, from Bellingham, was attacked as he sat in a parked car at 4.40am on Saturday in Beckenham Place Park. Two of four suspects held over his killing have been released.

A 27-year-old woman is still in custody on suspicion of the murder of a man, 34, discovered stabbed in Lower Richmond Road, Mortlake just before 10pm on Monday.

Mohammed Arslan, 26, was appearing at the Old Bailey on Wednesday charged with murdering 21-year-old university student Hina Bashir, whose body was found on Sunday in east London days after she was reported missing from Ilford.

Detective Chief Inspector Dave Whellams, from the Met’s Specialist Crime Command, issued a new appeal for information on Wednesday.

He said: “My thoughts are with Hina’s family who have suffered a terrible loss. We will provide them with whatever support we can.

“We are continuing our work to develop a full understanding of what happened to Hina, not just in recent days but in the weeks prior to this terrible incident.

“I know that Hina hadn’t been in the UK for too long. I would urge anyone who may have known her to come forward. Any information that you hold could be important to the investigation.”

Hina Bashir (Met Police)
Hina Bashir (Met Police)

Chief Superintendent Simon Crick, who leads the Met’s North East Command Unit, said: “Hina lived in the Manor Park area of London. She was a Pakistani national who was studying at university in London. She also worked part-time for a security company.

“She was reported missing to police when, out of character, she did not arrive at work. A missing person investigation was launched which, very sadly, became a murder investigation after a body was found.

“I know that local people will be distressed to hear that another woman has lost her life in a shocking and violent incident in east London. My deepest condolences go out to Hina’s family at this incredibly difficult time.

“I will be engaging with local community leaders to offer my support and to re-assure them that we are doing all we can to keep our communities safe.”

Anyone with information is asked to call 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting