Queen postpones Privy Council meeting following doctor’s orders to rest

·2-min read
Her Majesty the Queen  (AP)
Her Majesty the Queen (AP)

The Queen has postponed her Privy Council meeting after being advised by doctors to rest, Buckingham Palace has said.

On Tuesday the Queen, enjoying a summer break at Balmoral Castle, greeted Boris Johnson to accept his resignation and then invited Liz Truss to form a government less than an hour later.

It was the first time, the monarch, 96, formally invited a Prime Minister to form a new Government after a meeting at Balmoral, her Aberdeenshire estate, rather than at Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle.

A Palace spokesman said: “After a full day yesterday, Her Majesty has this afternoon accepted doctors’ advice to rest.

“This means that the Privy Council meeting that had been due to take place this evening will be rearranged.”

The Queen remains at Balmoral and the latest advice does not involve a hospital stay.

The monarch, 96, has ongoing mobility issues and had been due to hold the Privy Council virtually on Wednesday.

During the proceedings, Ms Truss would have taken her oath as First Lord of the Treasury and new cabinet ministers would have been sworn into their roles, and also made privy counsellors if not already appointed as one in past.

Ms Truss is the fifteenth Prime Minister of the Queen’s 70 year reign, and was pictured shaking hands with the monarch during the traditional audience ahead of forming a new Government on Tuesday.

Her Majesty has reduced the number of public engagements she takes part in due to the mobility issues, with other senior royals filling in for her at the traditional Braemar Highland Games in Scotland at the weekend.

This year, she has been forced to send other royals in her place at several official engagements, and was not present at much of her Platinum Jubilee celebrations, instead appearing on the Buckingham Palace balcony at the end of festivities.

In June, she missed Royal Ascot for the first time since her coronation in 1953, with Prince Edward, the Duke of Kent, leading the royal carriage procession.

In May, the Queen also missed the state opening of Parliament on doctors orders after experiencing “episodic” mobility issues.