The Queen returns to London after her winter break in Sandringham

Danielle Stacey
Royal Correspondent
The Queen boards the train at King’s Lynn station in Norfolk [Photo: PA]

The Queen was spotted making her journey back to London by train after her winter break at her Sandringham Estate in Norfolk.

The 92-year-old monarch boarded the carriage at King’s Lynn station on Monday morning, wearing a grey boucle coat, a camel coloured dress and black gloves.

She has been staying at Sandringham since December 20, 2018 and traditionally spends around six or seven weeks there, before returning to Buckingham Palace for her official duties.

February 6 marked the Queen’s 67th year on the throne but she usually spends the day in private, as the anniversary falls on the day that her father King George VI passed away aged 56.

The Queen kept warm in a grey boucle coat [Photo: PA]

She has a number of engagements scheduled for the coming weeks, including the 50th anniversary of the Investiture of the Prince of Wales on March 5, a visit to the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea on March 7 and the Commonwealth Observance Service in Westminster Abbey on March 11. 

Her Majesty was not joined by the Duke of Edinburgh as she boarded a Great Northern service.

It was confirmed by Buckingham Palace at the weekend that Prince Philip, 97, had surrendered his driving licence, following a car accident near the Sandringham estate on 17 January.

MORE: Prince Philip gives up driving licence after crash

MORE: Royal fans brave the rain to see Queen at church

The Duke’s Landrover collided with a Kia at the junction of the B1439 where it meets the A149. 

While Prince Philip was uninjuredthe driver of the Kia, a 28-year-old woman, suffered cuts to her knee while the passenger, Emma Fairweather, 46, sustained a broken wrist. A nine-month-old baby boy was in the Kia at the time of the incident and was uninjured. 

Norfolk Police released a statement confirming that the Duke had voluntarily surrendered his licence to officers and that the “investigation file for the collision has been passed to the Crown Prosecution Service for their consideration.”