A young couple arrives in New York for a weekend where they are met with bad weather and a series of adventures and misadventures.
A young couple arrives in New York for a weekend where they are met with bad weather and a series of adventures and misadventures.
Orianne Cevey-Collins, has agreed to move out of Phil Collins' $40 million Miami mansion she's been living in with her new husband Thomas Bates
China’s campaign to suppress Islam is accelerating as authorities remove Arab-style onion domes and decorative elements from mosques across the country. Stark changes have been observed at the main mosque in Yinchuan, capital of Ningxia province, where most of China’s Hui ethnic Muslim minority live. The bright green onion-shaped domes and golden minarets that used to soar into the sky atop Nanguan Mosque have all been pulled down. Golden Islamic-style filigree, decorative arches, and Arabic script that before adorned the mosque have also been stripped away. What remains is unrecognisable – a drab, gray, rectangular facility with “Nanguan Mosque” written in Chinese, as shown in photos posted online by Christina Scott, the UK’s deputy head of mission in China, on a recent trip. “TripAdvisor suggested the Nanguan Mosque in Yinchuan well worth a visit,” Ms Scott wrote on Twitter, along with ‘before and after’ photos. “Only this is what it looks now, after ‘renovations.’ Domes, minarets, all gone. No visitors allowed either, of course. So depressing.”
Sage scientist Professor Calum Semple said: ‘For the naysayers that don’t believe in a second wave, there is a second wave.’
Sri Lanka has started shipping 242 containers of hazardous waste, including body parts from mortuaries, back to Britain after a two year court battle by an environment watchdog, officials said on Saturday. Several Asian countries have in recent years been pushing back against an onslaught of international refuse from wealthier nations and have started turning back the unwanted shipments of garbage as they battle against being used as the world's trash dump. The first 20 containers of medical waste, which included body parts from mortuaries, were loaded on the MV Texas Triumph on Friday and another 65 will be sent within a week, customs spokesman Sunil Jayaratne said. "The balance will be shipped as soon as another vessel is available," Mr Jayaratne said. Sri Lanka's court of appeal two weeks ago ordered the repatriation of the bio-waste from hospitals and tonnes of plastic waste imported in violation of local and international shipping regulations. The imports arrived between September 2017 and January 2018 and the Centre for Environmental Justice (CEJ) had petitioned courts to get it rejected. Customs did not reveal the type of waste, but officials had said it included rags, bandages and body parts from mortuaries. In September, 260 tonnes of separate waste in another 21 containers was sent back after Britain agreed to take it back. Local authorities discovered the new waste after the legal action was started against the 242 containers held in Colombo port and a free trade area near the capital. Sri Lanka's customs maintained that all the containers had been brought into the country in violation of international law governing the shipment of hazardous waste, including plastics. A Sri Lankan investigation last year into nearly 3,000 tonnes of illegally imported hazardous waste found the importer had reshipped about 180 tonnes to India and Dubai in 2017 and 2018. Besides Sri Lanka, the Philippines, Indonesia and Malaysia have also returned hundreds of container-loads of refuse back to their countries of origin.
Billionaire casino boss Sheldon Adelson splashes the cash in bid to help Trump. The magnate, 87, is expected to have spent $250m this election cycle to support conservative causes, fundraisers say
President Emmanuel Macron said that he could understand if Muslims were shocked by cartoons of the prophet Mohammad, as French authorities on Saturday sought to ascertain if a young Tunisian suspected of killing three people in a knife rampage inside a Nice church had outside help France is on edge after the republication in early September of cartoons of the prophet Mohammad by the Charlie Hebdo weekly magazine, which was followed by an attack outside its former offices, the beheading of a teacher and now the attack in Nice.Macron sparked protests in the Muslim world after the murder earlier this month of teacher Samuel Paty – who had shown his class a cartoon of Mohammad – by saying France would never renounce its right to caricature.But in an apparent bid to reach out to Muslims, Macron gave a long interview setting out his vision to Qatar-based TV channel Al-Jazeera, seeking to strike a softer tone."I can understand that people could be shocked by the caricatures but I will never accept that violence can be justified," he said."I consider it our duty to protect our freedoms and our rights," he added in an extract of the interview to be broadcast from 4pm GMT (5pm Paris time).'Too early to say' France is still reeling from the latest attack in Nice, which Macron has already described as "Islamist" terror.The assailant, 21, only arrived in Europe from Tunisia last month and, according to prosecutors, killed the sexton, a Brazilian woman and a French woman in the attack in the Notre-Dame Basilica on Thursday morning.He cut the throat of Nadine Devillers, 60, and the sexton Vincent Loques, 55. A Brazilian mother, Simone Barreto Silva, who was stabbed several times, took refuge in a nearby restaurant but died of her wounds there.The knife-wielding attacker was shot by police multiple times and is currently in a serious condition in hospital. Investigators have been unable to question him and his precise motivations remain unclear."It is still too early to say if there were others complicit, what his motivations were in coming to France and when this idea took root in him," said a source close to the inquiry who asked not to be named.Investigators believe the suspect arrived illegally in Europe on Italy's Mediterranean island of Lampedusa on September 20. He then arrived at the mainland Italian port of Bari on October 9 before coming to Nice just one or two days before the attack.French police are currently holding three people for questioning in the investigation, which is focusing on two telephones found on the suspect after the attack.A first man, 47, was detained on Thursday evening after being seen next to the attacker on surveillance footage the day before the attack.The second individual, suspected of contacting the assailant the day before the attack, was held on Friday. Police said Saturday a third man, aged 33, was arrested after being present when the home of the second suspect was raided. Global threat to France The attack came with France still in shock over the October 16 beheading of teacher Paty by a suspected Islamist radical from Russia's region of Chechnya.The teacher had shown a class a cartoon of the prophet Mohammad in the wake of the controversy generated by the reprinting by Charlie Hebdo of the caricatures to mark the beginning of the trial of suspects over the massacre of its staff in January 2015.Even before that attack, Macron had promised a tough new campaign against Islamist radicalism that had aroused controversy and condemnation from Muslims around the world.Protests erupted Friday in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Mali, Mauritania and Lebanon, the latest in a string of mass rallies denouncing France.Indonesian President Joko Widodo on Saturday "strongly condemned" Macron's defence of the right to publish such cartoons.Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian warned that French citizens face a security risk "wherever they are" in the wake of the attack, saying alerts had been sent to all French nationals abroad.In the suspect's hometown of Sfax in central Tunisia, his family told AFP they struggled to believe he had carried out the attack, but relatives said he had turned to religion and isolated himself in the past two years.(FRANCE 24 with AFP)
Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, is asking people to adopt these life-sized elephants which were made in southern India for her late brother’s charity Elephant Family. They were supposed to go on display in the Royal Parks last summer however, due to Covid, they have been shut up in a warehouse. They are now being put on display around the UK in the hopes they will be auctioned off to raise money for the charity.
Follow all the latest updates and statistics
People could be prioritised for a coronavirus vaccine depending on their sex, ethnicity and wealth under proposals being discussed by the government. The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI), the body charged with devising the UK’s vaccine strategy, is considering the best way to decide who is most at risk from becoming seriously ill from COVID-19.neptune It may even use an algorithm developed by academics at Oxford University which factors in a wide range of variables including “age, sex, ethnicity, deprivation, smoking status, body mass index, pre-existing medical conditions and current medications”. The JCVI has already produced an 11 tier priority vaccination list as an “interim recommendation”, which is based largely on age but includes consideration of occupation and pre-existing medical conditions. However, it is currently being reviewed and an updated version is expected to be published in the next two weeks. The committee is likely to take into consideration what we already know about who is worst affected by the vaccine. According to Public Health England (PHE), twice as many working age men diagnosed with Covid have died compared to women; mortality rates in the poorest areas are double those in the wealthiest; and BAME communities have between a 10 and 50 per cent higher risk of death even once age, sex and social deprivation are taken into account. Low skilled workers have a death rate almost four times that of professionals. For security guards - the hardest hit of all in the first wave - recorded deaths were almost twice that of men working in social care. Officials say the current list is not expected to change dramatically but confirmed consideration is being given to incorporating a broader range of non-medical factors that influence risk. There is a tension between getting a system which prioritises by risk taking all factors into account and one which is easy to understand and implement, they said. “Members noted an update from DHSC on the individual risk tool developed by the University of Oxford”, say the latest published minutes from the JCVI. “It was noted that the tool would identify an individual’s risk of hospitalisation and mortality and could be used to stratify the population. “It was [also] noted that challenges with mass vaccine delivery could mean that a simpler programme could be the best way of delivering a programme. “The optimal programme could sit somewhere between the two approaches”. Pressure is growing on ministers to finalise a vaccine distribution strategy.
Kevin Courtney also said ministers should prepare to introduce school rotas for the end of any new restrictions.
Sir Sean Connery has been declared the "best James Bond ever" as actors, film producers, politicians and fans paid tribute to one of the world's most-known movie stars. The 90-year-old Scottish actor, the first to play 007 on the big screen, died peacefully in his sleep in Nassau in the Bahamas, surrounded by his family, it was announced on Saturday. on Saturday night, Sir Sean's wife of 45 years, Micheline, revealed the actor's final months were blighted by dementia. "It was no life for him. He was not able to express himself latterly. At least he died in his sleep and it was just so peaceful. I was with him all the time and he just slipped away. It was what he wanted," she told the Mail on Sunday. "He had dementia and it took its toll on him. He got his final wish to slip away without any fuss." His son Jason, 57, said: “We are all working at understanding this huge event as it only happened so recently, even though my dad has been unwell for some time. “A sad day for all who knew and loved my dad and a sad loss for all people around the world who enjoyed the wonderful gift he had as an actor.” Tributes poured in from across the world from those connected to his five decade-long career and appearances in Ian Fleming’s spy thrillers. The current Bond actor, Daniel Craig, used the character’s official Twitter account to express his sadness at “the passing of one of the true greats of cinema”, adding how Sir Sean “defined an era and a style”. He explained how the “wit and charm he portrayed on screen could be measured in megawatts” and he would “continue to influence actors and filmmakers” for generations to come. “Wherever he is, I hope there is a golf course,” Craig added.
England is to be placed under stricter nationwide restrictions from Thursday in an attempt to slow down the spread of coronavirus. Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced the new measures just after confirmed COVID-19 cases passed the one million mark across the UK. The new restrictions will initially be imposed from 0001 on 5 November until 2 December across the whole of England, with the plan to then ease them on a local and regional basis.
The Briton challenges the Ukrainian, who is the WBO mandatory for Anthony Joshua’s world heavyweight title
The Labor Party in Australia's Queensland state was on track on Saturday to retain power in an election overshadowed by COVID-19, with voters approving the strict measures that put the state at odds with the national government. Final results were expected late into Saturday night, but a partial count showed Labor was polling well at a primary vote of 40.8% with the Liberal National Party on 34.2%, according to the Electoral Commission of Queensland. "The early numbers are strong, but it's a little early to call," Wayne Swan, the president of the Australian Labor Party said, according to local media.
‘I think of her dignity in the face of unbearable heartache,’ Morgan said
The Labour leader’s position is being strengthened by three simultaneous developments
Coronavirus latest news: Virus is 'running riot' across all age groups The countries you can (feasibly) visit right now The new travel rules for Tiers 1, 2 and 3 Sign up to the Telegraph Travel newsletter England is set to enter another national lockdown, Boris Johnson has confirmed, putting an end to recreational travel. For a month, starting from Thursday, November 5, and lasting until at least December 1, citizens are urged not to leave their homes unless for education, essential work, exercise, or to shop for essentials. While the Prime Minister made no mention of the rules on international travel, reports ahead of the press conference this evening suggested there would be a specific ban. Telegraph columnist and Editor of The Spectator, Fraser Nelson, tweeted: "Outbound international travel will be banned, except for work. Travel within the UK will be discouraged, except for work"; while ITV's political editor Robert Peston tweeted: "Outbound international travel will be banned, except for work. Same applies for travel within England and overnight stays away from home." Other measures to have been confirmed include the closure of bars and restaurants, except for delivery and take-away; as well as all non-essential retail. Schools and universities will stay open. Rory Boland, editor of Which? Travel tweeted: "Simply put, a ban on international travel will push many holiday companies, airports and airlines over the edge. Many will go bust. Others will again withhold customer money to bail themselves out." Scroll down for more of the latest news.
Nicola Adams, HRVY and Maisie Smith impressed the judges during the first elimination week.
The death toll for Friday's earthquake that struck Turkey and Greece has reached 39 - including two children.
Tributes have flooded in for Sir Sean Connery, who has died aged 90. The producers of the James Bond film franchise said they are “devastated” by the death of the star, as he was remembered as “the world’s greatest Scot, the last of the real Hollywood stars, the definitive Bond”.