Reading terror attacker Khairi Saadallah loses bid to bring appeal against sentence

·1-min read
 (PA)
(PA)

Reading terror attacker Khairi Saadallah has lost a bid to bring a Court of Appeal challenge against his whole-life sentence for the murders of three men.

Khairi Saadallah, 26, stabbed to death history teacher James Furlong, 36, scientist David Wails, 49, and US citizen Joseph Ritchie-Bennett, 39, in a brutal outburst of violence last summer.

The three men had been enjoying the sunshine during lockdown when they were attacked by Saadallah, who had set out to kill as many people as he could.

Three others, Stephen Young, and Patrick Edwards and Nishit Nisudan, were all knifed by Saadallah but survived the attack in Forbury Gardens, Reading.

Saadallah was sentenced, in January, to life in prison for each of the murders, with a whole life tariff, and concurrent jail sentences of 24 years for the three attempted murders.

On Thursday, Saadallah appeared at the Court of Appeal in London via video-link from Belmarsh Prison, wearing a dark jumper, to challenge the length of his sentence.

However, after a hearing, the Lord Chief Justice Lord Burnett, sitting with Mrs Justice Cheema-Grubb and Mr Justice Henshaw, said his challenge had been unsuccessful.

Lord Burnett said: "We have concluded that there is no substance in any of the criticisms made of the judge's conclusions. In these circumstances we refuse leave to appeal."

Read More

Families of Reading terror attack victims welcome failed Court of Appeal bid

Reading terror attacker loses bid to challenge whole-life sentence

Police arrest teenager over murder of Afghan refugee Hazrat Wali

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting