MADRID, SPAIN (FILE - AUGUST 16, 2019) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL)
1. JAPANESE WINGER TAKEFUSA KUBO DURING REAL MADRID TRAINING
MADRID, SPAIN (FILE - JULY 3, 2020) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) (MUTE)
2. STILL PHOTO SHOWING KUBO IN LA LIGA ACTION AGAINST ATLETICO MADRID WHILE ON LOAN WITH MALLORCA
PALMA, SPAIN (FILE - OCTOBER 19, 2019) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) (MUTE)
3. STILL PHOTO SHOWING KUBO DURING LA LIGA MATCH WITH MALLORCA
PALMA, SPAIN (FILE - JULY 13, 2020) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) (MUTE)
4. STILL PHOTO SHOWING KUBO IN LA LIGA ACTION FOR MALLORCA AGAINST BARCELONA, BATTLING WITH LIONEL MESSI
MUNICH, GERMANY (FILE - JULY 31, 2019) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) (MUTE)
5. STILL PHOTO SHOWING KUBO IN PRE-SEASON ACTION FOR REAL MADRID AGAINST FENERBAHCE
BELO HORIZONTE, BRAZIL (FILE - JUNE 24, 2019) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) (MUTE)
6. STILL PHOTO SHOWING KUBO IN ACTION FOR JAPAN DURING THE 2019 COPA AMERICA AGAINST ECUADOR
STORY: Villarreal have signed Japanese playmaker Takefusa Kubo on loan from Real Madrid for next season, the La Liga club said on Monday (August 10).
Kubo, 19, impressed last season in his debut campaign in the top-flight on loan at Real Mallorca although was unable to prevent the team from being relegated a year after winning promotion.
The playmaker spent time at Barcelona's academy but was forced to leave the club due to FIFA's rules prohibiting the signing of underage players, which led to Barca being hit with a transfer ban.
He signed for Real from FC Tokyo last year for two million euros ($2.35 million) on a six-year contract.
Kubo joins a Villarreal side in the middle of a huge transformation ahead of the new season, having replaced coach Javi Calleja with Unai Emery after finishing fifth in their last campaign. ($1 = 0.8510 euros).