Reckless rider hurtled around Hull at high speed on stolen motorcycle

Luke Smith led police on a 'prolonged, deliberate and dangerous' chase
-Credit: (Image: Humberside Police)

A reckless and panicking Hull man hurtled along streets and across playing fields at high speed on a stolen motorcycle while being pursued by police during a hair-raising and "prolonged, deliberate and dangerous" chase.

The rider, Luke Smith, eventually abandoned the bike in a front garden before running inside a house and trying to hide in a bedroom. The motorcycle had been taken without consent and it had false registration plates on it, Hull Crown Court heard.

Smith, 26, of no fixed address but from Hull, admitted dangerous driving, taking a Honda 125cc motorcycle without consent and having no insurance and driving licence on May 23. He had been found guilty after a trial in his absence before Beverley magistrates of taking a Suzuki motorcycle without consent on May 4.


Maya Hanson, prosecuting, said that at 3.03am on May 23, police received a report that three males had tried to commit a theft at a house. A search was made in the Annandale Road area of Greatfield estate, Hull. A Honda 125cc motorcycle was seen passing.

The rider was wearing a balaclava but no helmet. The motorcycle failed to stop for police and continued at speed on Annandale Road.

It was ridden on and off the pavement before coming back onto the road on the wrong side of the road towards Falkland Road, where it mounted the pavement with no care or consideration for other road users or pedestrians.

The motorcycle later went onto a footpath in the direction of Wexford Avenue and sped across playing fields in the Stonebridge area. The rider headed into a front garden in Wakefield Avenue, dropped the motorcycle and ran into the rear garden.

Police followed but they could not see him. Other police surrounded the house. A police officer knocked on the door at 3.50am.

"The defendant was upstairs in a front bedroom," said Miss Hanson. Smith admitted that the motorcycle was stolen and that it had false registration plates on it.

"It was a prolonged, deliberate and dangerous piece of driving," said Miss Hanson. During police interview, he made no comment to all questions.

Smith had convictions for 51 previous offences, including four of dangerous driving and others of aggravated vehicle taking and driving while disqualified.

He had been jailed for one year in February this year for affray, possessing an offensive weapon and causing criminal damage. He had been recalled to prison on April 29 but was unlawfully at large for a time before finally being returned to custody.

Abigail Rowley, mitigating, said that Smith accepted taking the motorcycle and that he did not have the owner's consent. He acquired it through another person.

"He has shown and expressed great remorse," said Miss Rowley. "He acknowledges that he should not have done what he did. He recognises that this was nobody's fault but his own.

"There was no injury or damage caused. He has written a letter expressing his remorse. Alcohol and his addiction to that has played a part in his offending. At the time of these offences, he was drinking almost every day."

Smith wanted to make changes in his life, focus harder on doing so and turn a corner for the sake of his five-year-old son.

Judge Tahir Khan KC told Smith: "You have a bad record of offending. The offences are made more serious because they were committed while you were on licence."

Smith was jailed for 15 months and he was banned from driving for 19-and-a-half months. He will have to pass an extended retest before he can drive legally again.