‘Remorseless’ London teacher who attempted to send sex messages to children barred

 (Google StreetView)
(Google StreetView)

A former head of PE at a south-west London school has been barred from teaching after attempting to send sexual messages to children.

David Bryan, 38, had worked at Twickenham School in Whitton, Richmond, for five years before his resignation in 2020 while under investigation for the offences.

He was handed a four month suspended prison sentence in February last year after confessing to three counts of attempting to engage in sexual communications with thirteen-year-old children.

On Friday, the Teaching Regulation Agency barred Bryan from teaching, saying it had no evidence that he was remorseful for his actions.

“The panel noted that the offence had taken place outside of the school setting and had not involved pupils from the School where Mr Bryan worked or other members of staff,” the regulator ruled.

“However, the panel concluded that Mr Bryan’s actions were relevant to teaching, working with children and/or working in an education setting in that Mr Bryan had attempted to engage in sexual communication with children, who each stated that they were 13 years of age.”

“Further, Mr Bryan was responsible for teaching individuals of that age”.

It added that there was “no indication from the documents before the panel that Mr Bryan was remorseful or had shown insight into his conduct”.

Decision maker, Alan Meyrick, said: “In my judgement, the lack of insight and remorse means that there is some risk of the repetition of this behaviour and this puts at risk the future well being of pupils.

“I have therefore given this element considerable weight in reaching my decision”.

The prohibition order means the 38-year-old is barred from teaching in any educational setting in England for the rest of his life. He will also not be allowed to apply for the ban to be set aside.

Bryan was ordered to undertake rehabilitation activity, issued a sexual harms prevention order and a sex offenders notice to remain in place for ten years at a hearing of Surrey Magistrates Court in February 2021.

He was also ordered to pay costs of £156.00 and £85.00.