Renfrewshire sex offender could face jail after breaching court order with trip abroad

Paisley Sheriff Court
-Credit: (Image: Paisley Daily Express)

A Paisley sex offender jailed for grooming and abusing a boy has breached the terms of his court order.

Vincent Hill was made subject to the Sex Offenders’ Register following his conviction at the High Court in Glasgow in 2015.

As part of this, he is required to attend a prescribed police station and notify officers at least 12 hours in advance of any intended period of travel outside of the UK.

However, the 69-year-old beast breached this order on August 22 last year when he travelled to France.

In a hearing, Paisley Sheriff Court was told: “Police received information that indicated the accused had travelled to Dover in England and, thereafter, sailed to Calais in France, returning the same day. On Wednesday, August 23, police contacted the Port of Dover police and requested a review of CCTV.

“Officers at the port identified the accused’s car, a white Audi A3, at the Port of Dover on footage including the accused passing through passport control en-route to check in and the vehicle boarding the ferry just after 7am. The vehicle was observed leaving the ferry just after 5pm the same day.

“On Thursday, August 24, it was confirmed with the ferry that the accused had booked to sail on the Dover to Calais ferry journeys departing Dover at 8.25am on Tuesday and returning on 3.50pm departure the same date.”

Cops attended Hill’s home in High Calside on Friday, August 25 to make enquiries.

The prosecutor added: “Hill was asked for and presented a passport in the name of Vincent Hill and it was noted there was a stamp in the passport marked Calais dated August 22, 2023. He was taken to Greenock police station and processed.”

He told officers he didn’t realise he needed to declare his travel intentions for a one-day trip. Defence agent Eliott Gemmell told the court Hill "accepts ignorance of the law is not an excuse" and added: “The conviction this stems from will likely cause concern.

“He accepts his ignorance isn’t an excuse here but the background is that his understanding of the law is the previous law before it was amended and that was you only had to notify if you intended to travel for three days or more. He accepts this isn’t the case and he should have known to notify officers.”

Sheriff Eoin McGinty said: “These requirements are put in place for a reason.”

Sentence was deferred until next month for reports and Hill’s bail order was continued.

In 2015, Hill was jailed for seven years for abusing a boy during a four-year reign of terror. Hill began preying on the child in 1998 when the youngster was just 12.

The pervert was finally snared in 2013 after his victim – now grown up – told his wife about his ordeal. At the High Court in Glasgow, it was revealed Hill’s campaign of abuse left the victim so distraught that he attempted suicide.

Prosecutor Shirley McKenna said Hill had ordered the boy “not to tell anyone”. He took him to watch his favourite team Rangers in an attempt to make sure he didn’t reveal the abuse.

Hill, who sold computer games at a Glasgow market, befriended the boy in 1997. The victim was said to have had a “chaotic life” and Hill abused him between 1998 and 2002 at addresses in Paisley, Inchinnan and Erskine.

After the attacks were reported, the pervert sent a text to the victim claiming he was “sorry”.

Don't miss the latest Renfrewshire headlines – sign up to our free daily newsletter here