Reynhard Sinaga: Victim of serial rapist reveals how he fought off attacker and brought him to justice

Ewan Somerville
Reynhard Sinaga has been jailed: CPS

A young rugby player has revealed how he wrestled prolific rapist Reynhard Sinaga to the ground as he was assaulted.

The man, who has chosen not to be named, was drugged into unconsciousness by Reynhard Sinaga, who was jailed for life earlier this month for raping up to 195 men.

Unlike his other victims, the man awoke to the predator abusing him just hours after he ushered him into his central Manchester flat after a night out, claiming to be a friend.

Sinaga, described by the judge as a “monster”, might never have been caught if the man had not come around and accidentally fled with the rapist’s phone, which contained footage of dozens of attacks.

CCTV of the serial rapist Reynhard Sinaga on Princess Street, Manchester (PA)

“I thought I might have killed him, I didn’t really know what I was doing, I was using my instincts and adrenaline to survive,” said the 6ft rugby player, who is heterosexual, told the Sunday Mirror.

The pair exchanged blows in a fight after the victim realised what was happening to him. He had earlier lost his friends outside Manchester’s popular club Factory and was welcomed into Sinaga’s flat under the pretence of him being a Good Samaritan.

Tracing the moments leading up to the confrontation, the victim, recalled: “I woke up disorientated, face down on a pillow, there was a quilt on the floor.”

It later emerged he slept for four hours after Sinaga issued him the drug GHB.

“My pants and jeans were down to the top of my knees, he was on top of me with his pants down to his ankles," he said.

The bedroom floor, where dozens of rapes took place, in the home of Sinaga (PA)

He continued: “I said, ‘Mate, what’s happened?’ He started shouting, ‘Intruder! Intruder!’ I said, ‘Mate, calm down’, then he headbutts me on my nose and starts biting me."

He then described how they grappled, before he knocked Sinaga to the ground.

Sinaga jumped on him, prompting Peter to issue another set of blows and the rapist collapsed to the floor in a pool of blood.

The teen called his mum and the police, but initially it was him who was arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm.

Bottles of alcohol which were used to spike victims (PA)

Then officers examined the white iPhone that Peter had accidentally put in his pocket “in a blur” as he made his escape. The device, along with others recovered from the flat, contained 3.3 terabytes of films - 250 DVDs worth - Sinaga had taken of his depravity.

What emerged was a spate of 136 rapes against 48 men aged 17 to 36 over the course of two and a half years, two of which have attempted suicide.

Sinaga had given each a dose of GHB, a sedative, so they could not recall what happened to them. Police are yet to identify scores of victims.

Sinaga claimed that the men had consented to a sexual fantasy game, a defence branded “preposterous” in court, forcing his victims to give evidence.

He was found guilty of a total of 159 offences committed between January 2015 and May 2017 – 136 counts of rape, 13 counts of sexual assault, eight counts of attempted rape and two counts of assault by penetration​