Richard Madeley quits I’m a Celebrity after hospital dash

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·3-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Richard Madeley has confirmed he has left I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here after being rushed to hospital.

The TV presenter said he would not be returning to the show because he “broke the Covid ‘bubble’” after leaving the set in the early hours of the morning. 

Mr Madeley, 65, was taking part in the current series of the ITV reality show, which is being filmed at Gwrych Castle in Wales.

Writing on Instagram, he said: “Hello all! Richard here – firstly just to say that I’m absolutely FINE. I started to feel briefly unwell in the small hours of the morning and was taken to hospital as a precaution.

Watch: Who is I'm A Celeb's Richard Madeley?

“By leaving the camp, I had consequently broken the Covid ‘bubble’ and as such I’ve had to leave the castle and all the wonderful celebs that remain in the camp.

“Obviously I’m gutted to be leaving so soon but the safety of all the campmates is the number one priority. I’m incredibly excited to watch their journey continue … even more so at the prospect of being somewhere a little warmer than Gwrych Castle.

“Thank you to everyone who supported me on my brief but completely unforgettable adventure – I’ve made some great friends and honestly had the time of my life.”

Mr Madeley’s medical episode happened a day after he took part in a ‘Kitchen Nightmares’ trial which saw him drenched in rotting fruit and fish guts.

He secured a disappointing four stars - only winning four meals for the camp.

Despite this, he seemed in high spirits and joked with the show’s hosts Declan Donnelly and Ant McPartlin.

Confirming Mr Madeley’s hospital dash an ITV spokesperson said: “Richard was unwell in the early hours and was immediately seen by our on-site medical team.

“He’s since been taken to hospital as a precaution, the health and safety of our campmates is our priority.”

Speaking about Mr Madeley’s illness a source told The Sun: “It was horrifying - campers were really upset and concerned, all of the crew and medics rushed to set to help him.

“It was a real scare for everyone involved.”

A spokesperson from the Welsh Ambulance Service said: “We were called at 5.43am this morning, Thursday November 25, to reports of a medical emergency at Gwrych Castle in Abergele, Conwy.

“We sent a paramedic in a rapid response car and an emergency ambulance to the scene, and one patient was taken to hospital.”

Mr Madeley was one of the biggest names to star in this series, alongside Frankie Bridge, Olympic diving champion Matty Lee, EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt and former BBC Breakfast host Louise Minchin.

Mr Madeley is married to fellow TV presenter Judy Finnigan, and the couple have two children and one grandchild. 

He is one of a number of presenters who will takeover Piers Morgan’s job at Good Morning Britain in 2022. 

Watch: Richard Madeley takes on Castle Kitchen Nightmares challenge in I’m a Celebrity

Read More

Richard Madeley quits I’m A Celebrity as hospital visit breaks Covid bubble

I’m A Celebrity opener loses 3 million viewers from last year

I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here! begins in Gwrych Castle

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting