Sir Rod Stewart has publicly showcased his support to Sir Cliff Richard following a 22-month investigation into four sex abuse allegations.
The star was accused of attacking the victims between 1958 and 1983, with all of the allegations against the singer being dropped without the star having ever been arrested or charged.
Now Rod has offered to pay half of Cliff’s legal fees if the star wants to sue those involved.
Speaking at the Pinktober Gala on Friday, Rod said: “Cliff you were persecuted mate and we all know it. We are one million percent behind you.
“If you sue those b******s I’ll give you half.”
The comments come after it was announced that Cliff had begun proceedings to sue both the BBC and South Yorkshire Police for naming him as the suspect in a child abuse case and also for publicly broadcasting the raid on his Berkshire home back in 2014.
Speaking in a statement, the star said at the time: “[I was] named before I was even interviewed, and for me that was like being hung out like ‘live bait’.”
He previously said: “My life was effectively turned upside down and my reputation worldwide, was unnecessarily damaged. I would not want the same to happen to others whether in the public eye or not.
“Whilst the police of course need to properly investigate allegations made to them, it is clear to me that questions need to be answered by both the police and the BBC about their initial handling of my matter, which has rightly been condemned from so many quarters, including the Home Affairs Select Committee, the broader press, and, even the police themselves.”
There is no word on whether or not Cliff will be taking Rod up on his incredibly generous offer.
By: Stephanie Soteriou