NEW ROUTES have been announced for this year's Southampton marathon to avoid traffic chaos.
Thousands of runners are set to pound the city's pavements in a bid to raise money and beat their personal best.
However, this year, Thomas Lewis Way – a key road into the city – will remain open.
Since its inception, the event has raised over £2 million for charities.
Organisers say that the race brings in over £1.3 million to the Southampton economy each year.
Last year the event was delayed until September 2021 but this year it is due to take place on April 24 and is expected to welcome 10,000 runners.
The ABP Southampton Marathon faced multiple setbacks due to the covid crisis, however, is expected to take place on April 24 this year.
Race director, Chris Rees said: "ABP Southampton Marathon has become such a celebrated milestone in the city’s calendar.
"It is a real moment for the people of Southampton, our communities, and brings new people to the city to experience what a vibrant and amazing place Southampton is.
"We appreciate that not everyone wants to run so it is important we maintain good flow of traffic around the city."
Organisers have been working with Southampton City Council to ensure the route is still exciting, whilst allowing better flow of traffic whilst the event takes place.
Alastair Welch, director of ABP Southampton, said: "There is a real buzz in the air about this year’s event, and, as always, we really appreciate the fantastic support and enthusiasm of local residents.
"We are very excited to see so many people signing up, including those running for the first time, on what is a really positive occasion for our city."
For more details on the new routes, visit www.southamptonmarathon.co.uk