RSPCA rescue family of dogs left homeless by house fire before Christmas

Joe Gamp
Contributor, Yahoo News UK
(RSPCA)

A family of seven dogs who were left homeless following a devastating house fire have been helped by an emergency RSPCA effort.

The blaze ignited on a property in Leigh Road, Chandler’s Ford, Hampshire on Sunday and left the Newfoundlands injured and displaced.

But the animal welfare charity swooped in to rescue the dogs - Monty, Celeste, Blue, Remy, Woody, Swift and Rafferty - after firefighters discovered the hounds inside the burning building.

Inspector Hannah Nixon with two of the rescued Newfoundlands (RSPCA)

The RSPCA paid for emergency treatment and hospital fees - but sadly, Swift was put down.

Blue was given emergency treatment after suffering burns to 40 per cent of his body.

Read more:
Labour MP slammed for saying party 'will fight Tories in the streets'
Scottish newspaper refuses to recognise right of Boris Johnson to rule
In pictures: Jo Swinson and Nigel Dodds among big names to lose election seats

The other surviving dogs are now "fine" and being cared for in boarding in time for Christmas.

Kathy Otto, a friend of the owners - the Lamb family - set up a fundraising page to raise £5000, after they “lost everything” in the fire.

RSPCA Inspector Hannah Nixon rushed to the scene to assist and found a “black Newfoundland dog laying down with burns to the face.”

One of the dogs rescued from the blaze (RSPCA)

She said: "We dismantled a kennel and lifted the dog in with help from the fire crew before rushing her to a vet who gave the dogs pain relief before them being transported and taken for veterinary care.

“I was joined by two RSPCA inspectors, a vet and a vet nurse who we had called to help us at the scene.

Hannah added: “It was great to be able to help these dogs in their moment of need and we really hope the dogs, and their owners continue to keep getting better after such a shocking experience.”

Watch the latest videos from Yahoo UK