RuPaul has scored his fifth consecutive win for his hosting work on RuPual’s Drag Race at the Creative Arts Emmys. Upon receiving the honor during Saturday’s virtual ceremony, the RuPaul’s Drag Race host brought attention to a political message he wants to share.
“Tonight the only political statement I want to make is this: lovee,” he said. “Love for our LGBT brother and sisters, love for Black queens and brown queens and love for the United States of America.”
The Emmy-winning host, who has broken the record for best host wins, continued his acceptance speech urging his fans and viewers to vote.
“The time has come for you to vote for your lives,” he said.
Saturday’s win comes after season 12 of VH1’s popular drag queen competition show faced a number of unprecedented issues, from the disqualification of one its contestants to the the abrupt production shutdown due to the coronavirus pandemic.
RuPaul’s Emmy success also comes after the RuPaul’s Drag Race community lost former contestant Chi Chi DeVayne. The drag queen, whose real name was Zavion Davenport, died of pneumonia in August. He was 34.
“I’d like to dedicate this Emmy to one of my girls, Chi Chi DeVayne. May you rest in power and perfection.”
RuPaul bested fellow nominees Nailed It’s Nicole Byer, Making It’s Amy Poehler and NIck Offerman and Top Chef‘s Padma Lakshmi and Tom Colicchio. Queer Eye‘s Karamo Brown, Antoni Porowski, Tan France, Bobby Berk, and Jonathan Van Ness and Shark Tank‘s Daymond John, Barbara Corcoran, Mark Cuban, Lori Greiner, Kevin O’Leary, and Robert Herjavec were also up for the award.
RuPaul’s Drag Race has won additional awards at the Television Academy awards for outstanding casting, editing, contemporary hairstyling and makeup.
More from Deadline
- Creative Arts Emmys: 'Dave Chappelle', 'SNL', 'The Last Dance' Lead Night 5; 'Mandalorian', 'Watchmen' Tie For Most Awards This Week: Complete List
- RuPaul Says "Don't Give Up On Love" As 'Drag Race' Scoops Third Consecutive Reality Win
- Cherry Jones Wins Her Third Emmy For Guest Role On 'Succession': "It Was An Artistic High"
Best of Deadline
- Coronavirus: Movies That Have Halted Or Delayed Production Amid Outbreak
- Hong Kong Filmart Postponed Due To Coronavirus Fears; Event Moves Two Weeks Before Toronto
- Peacock Programming: List Of NBCUniversal Streaming Service’s Series, Films, Sports, News & More