The Home Secretary said she wanted the Met’s investigation into Brand — which began on Sunday when a woman reported an alleged sex attack in Soho in 2003 — to be given time “to play out” so that “a proper legal process may be considered”.
But she also urged other women to come forward, adding that she wanted “justice” for all victims of rape and other sex crimes and that the Government had been working hard to improve the chances of women achieving this.
“The allegations which we have all been watching and listening to are extremely serious and very concerning,” Ms Braverman told Sky News.
“We know that some complaints have been made now to the Met police and there is going to be an investigation. I want to allow that process to play out and I encourage all victims to come forward so a proper legal process may be considered.”
Ms Braverman added that despite well-publicised problems with achieving rape prosecutions — which are now slowly increasing after a previous large slump — the prospects of victims securing justice were improving.
“I recognise there are challenges when it comes to the investigation and prosecution of rape and serious sexual offences,” she said. “It’s something that as a government we’ve been focused on for several years… we are making progress. We want justice for victims.”
Ms Braverman’s comments came as the Met continued to appeal to more alleged victims in the wake of an investigation by The Sunday Times, The Times and Channel 4’s Dispatches programme revealing allegations made by four women against Brand of crimes including rape and sexual assault between 2006 and 2013.
Brand, 48, a former BBC and Channel 4 presenter, has denied any wrongdoing and insisted that all his sexual relationships were consensual.