Ryan Giggs: Wales manager to miss three games after assault arrest

·2-min read

Wales manager Ryan Giggs will not be in charge of the team for the next three games after his arrest on suspicion of assault.

The Football Association of Wales (FAW) said it had been "mutually agreed" with the former player that he would "not be involved in the upcoming international camp".

Wales had been due to announce their squad for the games on Tuesday morning.

The FAW said that would now happen on Thursday.

It added that "Robert Page, with Ryan's support", will take charge of a friendly against the USA on 12 November, and Nations League games against the Republic of Ireland and Finland.

Giggs' representatives say he denies the allegations against him, which relate to an alleged incident on 1 November.

"He is cooperating with the police and will continue to assist them with their ongoing investigations," they said.

In an earlier statement, Greater Manchester Police had said: "Police were called at 10.05pm on Sunday 1 November 2020 to reports of a disturbance at an address in Worsley.

"A woman in her 30s sustained minor injuries but did not require any treatment.

"A 46-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of section 47 assault and section 39 common assault. He has since been bailed pending further enquiries."

Earlier, an FAW spokesman told the PA news agency: "The FAW is aware of an alleged incident involving the men's national team manager Ryan Giggs.

"The FAW will be making no further comment at this current time."

Giggs was appointed Wales manager in January 2018, succeeding Chris Coleman, and has steered them to qualification for Euro 2020, rescheduled for next summer after the coronavirus pandemic forced the tournament to be postponed.

He won 64 caps for Wales and had a glittering playing career with Manchester United - winning 13 Premier League titles, two Champions Leagues, four FA Cups and three League Cups.

He is also a co-owner of League Two side Salford City.