- Explosion on Metro train in Russian city of St Petersburg
- At least 14 killed and dozens injured by 'briefcase' bomb
- Kyrgyz-born Russian citizen named as suspect
- Blast reported to have been caused by shrapnel-filled device
- Another unexploded bomb deactivated at another station
- Putin was in city for meeting with Belarusian counterpart
- Everything we know so far about the St Petersburg explosion
The likely suspect in the deadly blast in the Russian city of St Petersburg is a Kyrgyz-born Russian citizen, investigators have said.
Russia's Investigative Committee said on Tuesday that Akbarzhon Jalilov, born on April 1, 1995, was the attacker behind the blast that killed 14 people Monday afternoon.
Jalilov also planted an unexploded device that was found and defused at another metro station shortly after the blast, the Investigative Committee said in a statement.
The statement offered no further clarity on an earlier statement that the bombing "might" have been carried out by a suicide bomber.
Earlier Kyrgyzstan's GKNB security service had named Jalilov, born in the city of Osh in 1995, as the chief suspect.
Kyrgyzstan, a predominantly Muslim Central Asian nation of six million, is Russia's close political ally and hosts a Russian military airbase.
Russian authorities said they were investigating a suspected suicide bombing on Monday after a blast on the Saint Petersburg subway system killed 14 people and wounded dozens.
Russian authorities raised the death toll from 11 to 14 on Tuesday morning.
The blast, which struck a crowded metro train near the historic city centre at 2:20 local time, and came as Vladimir Putin was visiting the city.
Shortly afterwards a larger, unexploded device was reported to have been found at one of the city’s busiest metro stations, prompting authorities to close the entire underground transport system. Search warrants were issued for two people.
"A blast occurred at Sennaya Ploshchad metro station,” a police source told the Russian news agency Tass, “several people have been injured."
Witnesses on board the crowded train said it was shaken by a “thundering clap” that filled the carriages with smoke shortly after it left the station.
“We all moved to the opposite end of the wagon, people jammed together and two women passed out. This all was happening while the train was still moving, it didn't stop,” Polina, a student who was in the neighbouring carriage, told Gazeta.ru.
The driver of the train won praise for deciding to continue to the next station, Technologichesky Institute, rather than stopping in the tunnel, a move that investigators said probably saved lives and made it easier for rescuers to reach the injured.
Photographs from the station platform showed a blue train carriage with its door reduced mangled and twisted by the force of the blast.
Videos posted on social media showed a carriage wreathed in smoke and dazed and frightened passengers trying to exit the subway tunnels, while others knelt over the bodies of the wounded and the dead.
"People were bleeding, their hair burned. We were told to move to the exit, because the movement stopped,” a witness told Russia's Life News.
"People just fled. My girlfriend was in the next car that exploded. She said that he began to shake. When she came out, she saw that people were mutilated."
Russia's president Vladimir Putin, who was meeting his Belarusian counterpart Alexander Lukashenko in a suburb of St Petersburg at the time, expressed his condolences after the "possible terror attack".
“The city authorities, and if needed, the federal authorities, will take the necessary measures to help the families of those affected by the blast,” he said.
“The reasons behind it are not clear yet, and so it would be premature to speak about them,” he cautioned.
Mr Putin laid flowers at the Tekhnologichesky Institute station late on Monday night.
Security sources told the Interfax news agency that the device was “homemade” with a blast equivalent to 200g of TNT.
Initial reports said the device appeared to have been packed full of shrapnel including metal nuts and bolts to cause maximum damage and had been left in the carriage in a back pack by the attacker, investigators said.
Later on Monday, investigators said they believed the attack had been the work of a suicide bomber, and said the perpetrator was suspected to be a 23-year-old from a Central Asian country.
A second bomb, disguised as a fire extinguisher, was late reported to have been found at the Ploshchad Vosstanaya metro station, which serves the mainline railway station that connects St Petersburg with Moscow.
The device, which apparently failed to explode, was reported to contain about 1 kilogram of TNT equivalent, prompting speculation that it was intended as the “main” attack.
Interfax: person earlier shown in CCTV videos came to police to say he wasn't guilty in subway bombing. His photo was posted on social media pic.twitter.com/eIfwcdhgQw— CIT (en) (@CITeam_en) April 3, 2017
The Investigative Committee, Russia’s top investigative agency, opened a terrorism investigation and initially issued search warrants for two people in connection with the attack.
Gazeta.ru, citing an anonymous source close to the investigation, reported that authorities have identified the alleged bomber as a Kyrgyzstan native with Russian citizenship and "close to international terrorist organisations."
A bearded man who appeared on CCTV footage and who Russian television stations initially claimed was the suspected attacker turned himself into the police, saying he was innocent, after seeing himself on television. Interfax news agency reported that the man has since been eliminated from inquiries.
Interfax reported that police now think the same suspect, not a second suspect, planted a bomb at a subway station that was found and defused before it went off.
No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.
Russia’s transport infrastructure has been repeatedly targeted by Islamist terror groups based in the North Caucasus over the past two decades.
Monday’s attack was the deadliest outside the Caucasus since two suicide bombers killed 32 people in the southern city of Volgograd in December 2013.
Suicide bombers also targeted the Moscow Metro in 2010 and Moscow's Domodedovo international airport in 2011.
St Petersburg was last struck by terrorism in October 2015, when a bomb on board a civilian airliner travelling from Egypt killed 224 people, many of them holiday makers from the city.
The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil) claimed responsibility for that attack, calling it revenge for Russia’s military intervention in Syria.
St Petersburg authorities suspended Metro services following the blasts and stepped up security at the city’s international airport.
Georgy Poltavchenko, the governor of St Petersburg, announced three days of official mourning beginning on Tuesday.
Taxi and Uber drivers in the city were offering free rides to passengers stranded by the transport disruption on Monday evening.
US president Donald Trump spoke with Mr Putin on Monday to offer condolences to the victims the White House said in a statement on Monday night.
"President Trump offered the full support of the United States government in responding to the attack and bringing those responsible to justice," the statement said.
White House readout of tonight's Trump-Putin call pic.twitter.com/1hDCWDnrbF— Jennifer Epstein (@jeneps) April 4, 2017
"Trump and President Putin agreed that terrorism must be decisively and quickly defeated," it said.
Boris Johnson, the foreign secretary, said he was “horrified” by the attack. “My sympathies are with the victims and their families,” he wrote on Twitter.
France's Interior Ministry stepped up security measures on public transport in the Paris region after the attack
Mathias Fekl, the French Interior Minister, said in a statement Monday the decision was a "measure of precaution" after the explosion in St Petersburg.
Flowers laid in memory of Metro blast victims
Flowers are being laid in memory of the Metro explosion victims tonight, including at the Leningrad Hero City memorial by the Kremlin Wall in Moscow where a man is pictured laying a rose.
Warrants issued for two people wanted over Metro bombing
Warrants have been issued for two people wanted over the St Petersburg bombing, the Interfax news agency reports. It is unclear if the man in the CCTV picture released earlier is one of them.
'People had blood on their clothes... and bloody faces'
After the blast, the Metro station platform was a horrific scene of human suffering.
Video showed injured people lying bleeding beside the train, some being treated by emergency services and fellow passengers.
Others ran away from the platform amid clouds of smoke, some screaming or holding their hands to their faces.
A huge hole was blown open in the side of a carriage with metal wreckage strewn across the platform. Passengers were seen hammering at the windows of one closed carriage.
Russian TV said many had suffered lacerations from glass shards and metal, the force of the explosion maximised by the confines of the carriage and the tunnel.
"I saw a lot of smoke, a crowd making its way to the escalators, people with blood... on their clothes, bloody faces. Many were crying," said St Petersburg resident Leonid Chaika, who said he was at the station where the blast happened.
Is it safe to visit Russia? The official advice
After the Metro attack on St Petersburg, Telegraph Travel's Hugh Morris looks at how safe it is to visit Russia and what the Foreign Office says about terrorism there. Click here for more.
Russian detectives open terror investigation into bomb blast
The Russian Investigative Committee has said on its website that it has opened a criminal case under the Terrorist Act after the St Petersburg bomb.
Earlier, a Russian official used the phrase "terrorist attack" in an interview before the comment was retracted.
The Russian Investigative Committee said it will "continue to check all possible versions of what happened".
Putin pictured meeting Belarusian President in St Petersburg on day of blast
Russia's President Vladimir Putin happened to be in St Petersburg at the time of the blast, for a meeting with the Belarusian President, Alexander Lukashenko.
Putin said investigators were looking into whether or not the subway explosion was a terror attack or if there might have been some other cause.
He says: "Law enforcement agencies and intelligence services are doing their best to establish the cause and give a full picture of what happened."
10 killed in attack: seven at station, one in ambulance and two at hospital
Russia's health minister has now said that 10 people have died after the St Petersburg subway blast, including seven at the scene, one in an ambulance and two at hospital.
Russian health minister: Eight people killed and 39 in hospital
Eight people have been killed in the St Petersburg subway blast and 39 are in hospital, Russia's health minister has said. Russia's anti-terrorism committee had earlier confirmed that 10 people had died in the explosion
CCTV picture shows suspect in St Petersburg 'briefcase' bombing
Surveillance cameras have captured images of the man who allegedly left a bomb - reportedly in a suitcase - on a St Petersburg Metro carriage. The man had a beard and wore a black hat.
The Interfax agency cited as source that confirmed the explosive device was left in a briefcase.
Video: Passengers gather on Metro platform after blast
Another bomb 'found and deactivated' at Metro station
After earlier reports that another unexploded device had been found on the St Petersburg Metro system, a Russian anti-terrorism committee has said that officials have found and deactivated the other bomb.
Timeline: Recent terror attacks on Russia
As Russian officials examine the cause of the St Petersburg explosion, Joshua Surtees looks back at recent terror attacks on Russia.
Air ambulance takes off from outside scene of blast
The air ambulance that was earlier pictured outside Sennya Square has been seen taking off from the scene of the disaster in pictures and a video posted on Twitter:
Питер. Техноложка. Десятки машин спецтехники. Запах медикаментов. Молчание кругом и только звук вертолёта. pic.twitter.com/UhII25uxYt— Витя Сорваль (@sorval) April 3, 2017
Foreign Office poised to support any Britons caught up in attack
The Foreign Office said it was ready to support any Britons caught up in the attack, though as yet there were no reports of British casualties, reports Ben Farmer, The Telegraph's Defence Correspondent.
A spokeswoman said: “We are liaising with Russian authorities following explosions on the St Petersburg Metro. Our sympathies are with those affected and their loved ones.”
Witness: 'Everything is in smoke, very scary'
A lot of wounded and it's scary, the train is uncleaned and everything is in smoke, very scary! Terarism is scary— Maria Gerasimova (@llenovo8080) April 3, 2017
Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson 'horrified' by explosion
Boris Johnson, the Foreign Secretary, said on Twitter he was "horrified" by the explosion:
Horrified by news of explosion in St Petersburg. My sympathies are with the victims and their families.— Boris Johnson (@BorisJohnson) April 3, 2017
He was joined in offering his condolences to victims by Jens Stoltenberg, the head of Nato:
Deepest sympathy to those affected by the #StPetersburg metro explosion, their loved ones and the Russian people.— Jens Stoltenberg (@jensstoltenberg) April 3, 2017
Explosion is terrorist attack, official says
The Russian prosecutor general has called the St Petersburg explosion a terrorist attack.
Was the bomb left in a briefcase by a man who changed carriages?
According to RBC, one of the main news agencies in St Petersburg, a man reportedly received a text message from a friend on the train who said: "There was an explosion on the track, a guy left his briefcase on the train car, exited the car, and moved to another train car. Just one car."
'There was a thundering clap, followed by a strong smell smell and smoke'
A student that Gazeta.ru identifies only as Polina who was on the train between Sennaya and Texnologichesky Institute stations is reported as saying:
"We were riding in the neighboring car, and at that time it was very crowded: all the seats were taken and many were standing.
"The explosion went off between stations. There was a thundering clap, followed by a strong smell smell and smoke.
"We all moved to the opposite end of the wagon, people jammed together and two women passed out. This all was happening while the train was still moving, it didn't stop.
"Everyone got out at Tenologicheskom Institute station. There, we saw that the neighboring wagon was shattered, the windows blown out, no light, blood."
Analysis: Central metro station would make an attractive terrorist target
Sennya Square is a busy intersection station where three of St Petersburg's five metro lines intersect, reports Moscow Correspondent Roland Oliphant.
It is not near the St Petersburg city administration, but as a central metro station would make an attractive target for a terrorist seeking to spread fear.
St Petersburg was last struck by a terror attack in October 2015, when a bomb blew up a St Petersburg bound jet carrying holiday makers home from Egypt, killing all 224 people on board.
Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack, saying it was revenge for Russia's bombing in Syria.
No one has yet taken responsibility for the latest blast.
Russia has been rocked by terrorist attacks committed by Islamist terrorists from the North Caucasus several times over the past two decades.
Unlike the multiple attacks on the Moscow metro in 2010, this attack does not seem to be the work of a suicide bomber.
Another unexploded device reportedly found on Metro network
A source in the emergency services has reported that only one blast occurred, instead of the two initially reported, reports Roland Oliphant.
The home made device was thought to be equivalent to 200 grams of TNT and was placed on the carriage.
Another unexploded device has been found on the St Petersburg metro system, Russian agencies report.
"A bomb that failed to go off was found at Vosstanaya Square metro station," Interfax reported citing an anonymous source. Police have not confirmed the report.
Pictures from inside St Petersburg Metro
Third unexploded bomb reportedly discovered
St. Petersburg website Fontanka reports claims that a third unexploded bomb was found at the Ploshad Vosstaniya metro station. This is unconfirmed at this stage.
Entire St Petersburg subway network shut down
The St Petersburg subway has shut down all stations following the explosion.
Meanwhile, the Governor's press office reports that 50 people have been injured.
Blasts reported on two carriages on Metro system
The two blasts are reported to have happened on separate Metro carriages. It is unclear if the carriages were part of the same train. They are reported to have happened at Sadovaya and Sennaya Ploshchad stations.
Putin: Investigators looking into possible terror attack
Russia's President Putin has said investigators are looking into what he described as a "possible terror attack", which is "among the theories" for the St. Petersburg subway blast.
Witness: 'People were bleeding, their hair burned'
A witnesses told Russia's Life News:
"People were bleeding, their hair burned. We were told to move to the exit, because the movement stopped.
"People just fled. My girlfriend was in the next car that exploded. She said that he began to shake. When she came out, she saw that people were mutilated."
Anti-terrorism committee confirms 10 dead in Metro blast
Russia's anti-terrorism committee has confirmed that 10 people have died in the explosion in the Russian city of St Petersburg.
Subway official: Explosive device set off on train
The St Petersburg subway press office said an explosive device was set off on a train in the Russian city.
Putin: Authorities considering all possible causes
Russia's President Putin has expressed his condolences following the Metro explosions.
He said that authorities are considering all possible causes.
Video: Footage shows passengers reaching to help those trapped inside blast train
President Putin was due to be in St Petersburg today
A Kremlin spokesman said President Putin - who was supposed to be meeting Belarusian counterpart Lukashenko in St Petersburg today - has been informed.
Second blast reported in carriage at different station
The second explosion is reported to have happened at around 2.40pm (12.40pm BST) on the blue branch of the St. Petersburg metro at the station "Sadovaya". A device reportedly exploded in the carriage.
At least 10 dead after blast from shrapnel-filled device
According to Tass News Agency, preliminary information suggests that 10 people have died in the explosion and 30 people have been injured.
The blast is said to have involved a device filled with shrapnel, Interfax said.
There appear to have been blasts at two St Petersburg Metro stations, RIA cites sources.
'Unknown number of people injured'
Russian state media said the explosion has injured an unknown number of people.
Other reports said "at least 10 people" have been hurt. It is unclear at this stage if anyone has died.
Video: Passengers surrounded by smoke on platform
Several people have been injured - police source
A police source told Russian news agency Tass: "A blast occurred at Sennaya Ploshchad metro station, several people have been injured."
No one has been confirmed killed.
Picture of Metro train door blown open