Home Secretary Sajid Javid's eldest brother killed himself because he felt he would "not last long" due to his stomach problems, an inquest heard.
Tariq Javid was more than five times the drink-drive limit when he collapsed in the shower at a country house hotel and drowned, as West Sussex senior coroner Penelope Schofield recorded a verdict of suicide.
The court heard supermarket chain boss Mr Javid, 51, left his home in Horsham while his partner of 15 years Sylvia was out shopping on July 29 this year.
Crawley Coroner's Court was told he left two identical letters that said he would "not last long" due to stomach problems.
Mr Javid booked himself into the luxury South Lodge Hotel in Horsham, West Sussex, and drank whisky and wine in his room and at the hotel bar.
When his wife returned home and found the notes, she tried to call the hotel room.
There was no response, so she went to the country house and a hotel manager with a master key helped her get into the room.
The coroner heard Mr Javid was found with neck injuries and had significant levels of a prescription drug in his system. He also suffered from serious heart disease.
He had previously suffered from back and leg pain, but the inquest heard he had been "relatively pain free" over the last year.
In June, the month prior to Mr Javid's death, the inquest heard he had been signed off from work due to stress and anxiety.
He was also suffering from stomach problems that were said to be "under investigation" by doctors.
Coroner's officer John Halloran said: "On July 29 he told Sylvia to go shopping. She left around 11.20am and caught the train to Crawley. He said he was going to go to the cinema or the gym.
"Sylvia arrived back at home at 3.45pm and found Mr Javid was not at home but his car was at home.
"She found two identical letters which gave her cause for concern. They appeared to show he was planning to take his own life.
"It said 'carry on and enjoy life'. It said that with the stomach pain he was suffering from he would not last much longer.
"It gave instructions and said he could be found at the South Lodge Hotel. He is thought to have consumed alcohol in his room."
A toxicology report found that Mr Javid had 419mg of ethanol per 100ml of blood, and 0.54mg of a prescription drug in the blood, which exceeded the "therapeutic range" and was consistent with moderate toxicity.
A post-mortem examination gave the cause of death as drowning, ethanol toxicity, heart disease and prescription drug toxicity.
It was said that Mr Javid would have become incapacitated in the shower and this is what would have led him to collapse and drown.
Ms Schofield said: "Mr Javid had cuts to his neck. They were not themselves deep enough to have caused his death, it is likely together with large amounts of alcohol consumed incapacitated him... as a result of that incapacitation he then drowned."
The family of Mr Javid were not present at the inquest, but the coroner said they would be provided with a summary.