The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) rubbished claims that veteran radio talk show host Sakina Kamwendo was kept in the dark about her future at the public broadcaster.
This comes after Kamwendo's Forum at Eight programme on SAfm was shut down by station management halfway through the allotted hour.
Producers of the show were instructed to cut her final show immediately and fill the remainder of the time with music, according to the twitter page of the South African National Editors' Forum SANEF.
SABC spokesperson Kaiser Kganyago said that it would investigate the matter before commenting to the media.
Chris Moroleng, SABC chief operations officer, clarified on twitter that the decision to cut Kamwendo's show was made by SAfm management and not executive management.
We, as the executive management, of the SABC have allowed management at different levels to make decisions in line with their delegated authority. Yesterday's decision concerning @SakinaKamwendo was made by station management @SAfmRadio not by executive management or myself.— Chris Maroleng (@ChrisMaroleng) March 31, 2018
Kamwendo claimed she had been kept in the dark on her future at the public broadcaster following the end of her contract.
However, Kganyago said she was aware of the direction the station was going and had signed a new contract for a new show.
"She knows that this time of the year stations make changes in their lineup. She signed a new contract and she knew that she would be going to another show," he said.
Kamwendo gained a reputation for her hard hitting style of interviews. Her show is also one of the most popular talk shows on talk radio.
SANEF said the incident was poorly handled by the SABC.
"Kamwendo should have been given the space to explain to her listeners what had transpired with her show and with the termination of her time as the show’s host," the organisation tweeted.
The media industry should be supporting all women in this sector - and especially highly competent, courageous black women such as @SakinaKamwendo. We need to ensure the diversity of voices in the industry. SANEF will be engaging the SABC on the matter.— SANEF (@SAEditorsForum) March 31, 2018
I've seen abusive, toxic, incompetent anchors being treated better than this. Whose ego had to be accomodated at Sakina's expense? Not even a dignified exit after 10 years' servive? Pulled off air in middle of show? Never heard of it. https://t.co/Bi0yARoXdO
— Redi Tlhabi (@RediTlhabi) March 31, 2018